Sign in to follow this  
djaws11

Day after thanksgiving buck

Posting from iPhone so not going to type whole story right now but wanted to share the picture. Will update with story later. Shot this buck on first day of hunt at 350 yards. Glassed up from about 700 yards away and could only get to 350 before ran out of space to go. Perfect 1 shot drop right behind the front shoulder using a sako A7 300 win mag. Story update below:

Had a great thanksgiving dinner in Gilbert with the family but all I could think about was my hunt starting the next morning. After thanksgiving dinner my brother and I (we both had tags) got the truck packed up and ready to go for the multiple hour drive to our hunting destination. We met up with our parents since they were joining us on the trip. We always do a father and sons hunting trip at least once a year but this year my mom joined us on all our hunts which was nice! My dad tagged out on the 2nd hunt so now it was our turn. We took a power nap from 10pm till about 2am which was horrible because I wasn't able to sleep at all. At 2am we got up and by 2:15 we were on the road. We drove straight to one of the spots we have seen bucks before and got there just before the sun was starting to rise which was perfect. We had about a half mile hike in before we got to our glassing spot. Ended up glassing up a bunch of does a couple spikes and a decent forky that we passed on. We stayed there until about 10am and then decided to try another area that we have had luck at but didn't know quite as well. We hiked out got to our trucks and drove to the next area. Once we got there we set up our binoculars, tripods, and spotting scope and were glassing again just before 11am. Our plan was to hunt all day long everyday for the entire trip. We were determined to get both our tags filled. 10 minutes into glassing my dad says I got a buck!! I was given the opportunity to hunt this buck because I glassed up the buck my dad harvested during his hunt this year. The buck was about 700 yards away on the top of the mountain. My brother and I stalked to 350 yards before we ran out of space to go. We put our packs down and started glassing again to relocate the buck since it was now at a different angle that did not look the same. After a few minutes we found him again. Before I was able to set up for a shot he bedded down. I got in the prone position for the shot and had my scope on him where he was bedded. I could only see his head so I laid there for 4 hours!!! Waiting and waiting for him to get up to give me a shot. My neck was cramping and my eye felt like it was going to pop out of my head from looking in the scope for such and long time and laying in that position with my neck up. Finally he got up after 4 hours but still didn't give me a shot. He kept spinning in circles. I had one chance where he stood broadside for a few seconds and as I was putting pressure on the trigger he started spinning in circles again so I eased my finger off the trigger. I did not want to take an unethical shot but I had a chance when he was broadside for a few seconds. He then started moving around a boulder and tree and out of sight. He was at the top if the mountain already and so was out of view on the other side of the ridge. At that point I was really disappointed because I could have put a little more pressure on the trigger when he was broadside for the moment earlier. I thought I missed the opportunity for good. My brother kept my hopes up while I was bummed that I didn't get to pull the trigger. We kept glassing and hoping he would come back over to our side of the mountain and after 15 minutes he finally came from the other side and presented a broadside shot. This time I did not hesitate and I put my 300 yard hash mark from my bdc reticle at the top of his back right behind the shoulder since he was 350 away. I made a perfect shot and dropped him in his tracks. At that point we spooked up another buck that was bedded nearby and tried to get my brother on him but unfortunately we weren't able to execute and ran out of daylight. We hunted hard on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday and were chasing bucks every day to fill my brothers tag. They grey ghosts kept escaping us!! We would glass them up and when we stalked them and got to shooting distance they would disappear. We were in glass all day every day barely stopping for a quick snack to eat and put many many miles on our boots hiking over and around mountains for the rest if the trip and gave 100 percent effort but weren't able to fill his tag. I couldn't have done it without my dad and brother so I wanted to put my brother on a buck so bad to repay him. Unfortunately it didn't happen...but the hunt doesn't end till Sunday the 8th so we came back home due to work obligations and my brother and dad went back up yesterday evening to give it one last chance for the last 2 days of the hunt. I am anxiously waiting by my phone hoping a picture of a big bruiser comes in. I wasn't able to join on the last 2 days due to other obligations but I am there in spirit.

post-6129-0-72622600-1386375887_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks guys! Not the biggest we have hunted but I liked him! Would take him any day.

Great looking buck!!

Updated with the story... Enjoy!

Nice write-up and a very nice buck! Best of luck to your brother.

Thanks, my brother gave me word that he connected on a 3x3 yesterday (saturday afternoon). We went 3 for 3 this year. 2 3x3s and 1 3x4. Can't wait till next year(January archery!)

Very nice buck! Congratulations! Quite the enjoyable story! Thanks!