NM_Shedder

NM Dec 8 Buck 2nd Deer

This year the herds and quantity of deer where I live have been at a scary low.After 5 long days of hunting only 6 deer were seen. The 6th deer is now in my freezer. It was the second deer we saw and the first deer got a good scare. Anyways lets get to how the hunt went down.

My dad and I had just taken our packs off to rest for a little while when my dad whispers "Big buck." So I look and see the deer 100 yards down the hill. The shot wasn't the best and he got a fairly painful hit. When I shot I didn't have a steady shot and was shaky. The bullet went downwards and I somehow manged to break both back legs. We didn't know this till we recovered him. Anyways, I see him go down then he gets up and keeps going like nothing is wrong. I see him walking(hopping) away. So I set up and take another shot once more shaky and doesn't hit its mark. It went from where I had it placed on the back of his shoulder to his butt. He left off down the hill. We began tracking him and before we saw him again he had covered 500 yards pulling himself on basically just his front legs. I got on him and got a solid set through the trees. The tree stopped the bullet but the sound scared him or he just decided to fall over cause he went down.

And yes I Felt horrible about the legs, so please keep negative comments about it not to hurtful.

P.S. I'm the small person in orange. My dad (A.K.A My unpaid guide and ride.) Is the bigger one in just camo. And if you would like just tell me in your posts and I will post the picture of the legs.

post-10573-0-74507700-1387146960_thumb.jpg

post-10573-0-77343300-1387146980_thumb.jpg

post-10573-0-44700900-1387147020_thumb.jpg

post-10573-0-38348300-1387147210_thumb.jpg

post-10573-0-42693700-1387147224_thumb.jpg

Haha. He doesn't have any hind lower legs left. Hey, no meat wasted all the better. Was this public or private land hunt?

Public land. That's how all of my hunts are, so that's why we see so few deer some times.

congrats on a very nice Buck!

Most excellent!! Congrats on your nice buck!!

That's a really nice deer. What caliber/model gun were you shooting?

Very nice buck! Congrats!