Sign in to follow this  
Scooter

What to do... what to do

Hey guys. I haven't shot a Coues in the three years I've been stationed here in AZ... I want to take one before I am transferred next year. I'm so tired of eating tag soup. I have a 4-5" spike that shows up every morning and every night on the same hillside and I just don't know if I should take that shot so early in the season.

There's the little Devil on my shoulder saying "hold off for something bigger" and the little Angel saying "go ahead and take him, he's 150yds away and broadside, he's an easy drag from the road, your tag and freezer will be filled, he might not be there tomorrow, you might never see anything bigger, he's 1.5yrs old and he'll be DELICIOUS"...

Who thinks if I see him again I should give him "the business"?

I've only shot a spike. I'd like to shoot something bigger but you can't eat antlers.

Scooter, I can count the # of big game animals under my belt on only two hands. Currently, I classify myself as a "meat hunter" if you will - so I say smoke that little bastard, natural selection at its finest. And a tasty selection, too.

Good luck with whatever business you choose.

• Like 4

How much time do you have to hunt?

see that's the thing, I took half days off from this thursday through New Year's eve- so I at least have lots of mornings left. The dynamic of hunting on-base here at Huachuca also plays into it. You may not get into certain areas every day and they might close one off for the entire season at any given time.

If you want to eat shoot him. Remember its about the hunt not so much the horns. Us locals that hunt coues every year take for granite that majority of non resident hunters hunt a lot here to get a shot on a coues buck. If it gets you excited then pull the trigger.

You are there to hunt. Take the best shot that presents it self and call that your trophy. grey ghosts are harder to hunt from your next assigned station. Take one while you can get one.

I say hold out a few more days. Sounds like your not a trophy hunter or a horn hunter by any means but not sure how you would feel if you killed that spiker and you spooked a decient buck after you shoot. I'd would never let myself let that one go. But that's just my 2 cents. Good luck on your hunt!! I would give anything to have this hunt!