GWHunter

6 day hunting - 4 Coues Tags Filled

Day One: Almost immediately we noticed that this hunt was going to be considerably different then my wife, son and daughter’s November hunt. As the sun came up, unlike the Nov hunt, we saw little to no activity in the flat. We started to glass up higher up the slope and picked up does already bedding. We glassed for a couple of hours and decided that they were going to most likely stay bedded until late afternoon. I decided to head to the top of the main ridge and see what I could see from up top. I got of my quad, grabbed my gear and stepped off the road to set up to glass. Immediately got busted by something. Something snorted. I pulled up by binos and noticed a nice 3x3 rounding a juniper and disappearing. Ok, suspicion confirmed. That afternoon, we headed back down to a high bowl and started glassing. Around 5 p.m. we see a buck in the bowl at 200 yards. As it moved to within 170 yards, we noticed it was an odd looking 3x3. 2” G1s angled inward almost touching. The G2s or G3s were facing backwards making it seem like he had double main beams. We tried to get his dad to set up for a shot on this buck, but was unable too before he spooked and ran off.

Day two we headed back to that bowl for the morning. Again we noticed more activity up higher. Saw several does and a few small bucks bedding and milling around up high. We went and grabbed a bite to eat and decided to go back to the top of the ridge and glass where that buck from the prior evening ran. Another set of hunters beat us to the ridge and we were not able. We decided to take the ridge road along the ridge south of the draw the yesterday’s buck ran into. We set up started glassing and soon spotted a nice mature 2x2 standing under a juniper 400 yards away. Again we tried to get my friends dad on this buck, but he was not able to see him. I set up for the shot. The buck moved down the slope to 366 yds and I took the shot. I hear my friend chucky say “You missed over his back!!!” The buck disappears in a little draw. We regrouped and started glassing again. I went to the other side of the ridge and started to glass again. Within 30 minutes, I busted a small 2x2 buck bedded below me. He ran out to 98 yards and stopped. He was too small and I watched him snort and stomp off up the draw. I crossed back over to the side where I missed the buck earlier and shortly, the ole man says, “Chucky, I got a doe under a bush”. We go over to look at this doe and realized that is not a doe. It was a really nice, wide, thin racked buck. I good shooter at 401 yards. We set up for the shot, but before we are ready, he steps under a juniper and stays put until after dark.

Day three: We head back up to where we put this buck to sleep. We both agreed that today felt like a good day. Maybe we both will kill today. I decide to start glassing the draw where I jumped that little buck while Chucky started glassing where we bedded the buck last night. Shortly I notice several does feeding up the ridge. A few hundred yards behind them game a small 2x2 and spike. I watched the bucks for about 45 minutes or so. Then I get a text. “I got your buck over here”. I replied, “How far?”, “250 yards” he says. “I’m on my way”, I replied. I get to where Chucky is at and sure enough it is my missed buck from the night before, and he was less than 40 yards from where he was standing when I missed him. I range him at 255 yards. I set up for the shot and fire. He did a 180 and started walking back into that draw again, but I knew I hit him. I reloaded, put the crosshairs shoulder high and waited for him to clear the scrub oak. My 7 REM MAG barked, the 168 Berger VLD with 65.3 grains of IMR 7828 finds it mark again and this beautiful buck drops where he stood.

What a year of deer hunting. Six days hunting: Three days hunting during my wife, son and daughter’s hunt and three days during my late hunt producing 4 nice Coues. My wife’s: 54lb 2x2, Son’s: 71 lbs 1x2, Daughter’s: 64lb 2x2 and My 91lb 2x2. Now I have to come up with a unique way to mount all four heads (European mount style).

post-11141-0-38854000-1387295905_thumb.jpg

post-11141-0-30916900-1387295930_thumb.jpg

post-11141-0-12538300-1387295938.jpg

post-11141-0-33379900-1387295954.jpg

post-11141-0-36899000-1387295962.jpg

• Like 2

great job!!! now i recognize you from waiting in the line at the sportsmans center... Congratulations on all of the successes!

Congrats! That is awesome. Good Karma helping the family get it done earlier. Hope you have another freezer!

Nice set of bucks your family took! Congrats to all.

Sounds like a blast. Congrats. Some great deer there.

Great job! Nice that you all hunt together AND you're good at it too! Congrats. Post when you get the mounts finished please.