Heard about this project when I first moved to Tucson in the late 1980s. Sad that all of the time and resources placed on this project appear to have shown no tangible gains yet. Would be really cool to be a super incredible success story leading to hunting opportunities, but so many setbacks have to be frustrating for those involved.

The article also makes mention of the raptor population on the ranch. Pen raised birds don't have a chance against raptors or any other wild predator. I think for the reintroduction efforts to have a chance of success, some serious predator control would have to be implemented and give the released birds a chance to live long enough to become wild. Doubt that this will ever happen with the feds involved. I have read several privately owned plantations have done this in the south, along with habitat improvement, and are having good success reintroducing bobwhite quail in areas where they have been scares for decades.

I agree, while reading this I just kept thinking how the predators need to be eliminated from the situation to give the birds a chance. At lease in the beginning.

Randy Babb talked about the masked Bobwhites at the SAzQF meeting in Sonoita last night. Looks like they are not going to make it unless a miracle happens.