Sign in to follow this  
PelaPapas

.300 Win Mag on Javelina...

For minimum damage yes, shoot a heavier, slower bullet that is not going to explode. For example, a Barnes TTSX or Nosler Accubond over a Ballistic tip, SST, or Ballistic Silver tip. What ever ammo you have on hand will work fine. No need to spend money on another box, and have to re-sight in your gun.

Buy some of Remingtons Managed Recoil rounds, I think it's a 150 gr. bullet loaded to about 30-06 velocities. And it's just a soft point also, pigs aren't thick enough for the bullet to expand that much anyway. Now if you were to use a ballistic tip I'm thinking he would pop like a zit! lol

I shot 2 with a 300 ultramag. 180gr Nosler's.

First one looked like it was shot by a laser. 1/2" hole going in and a golf ball hole right on through the other side. It dropped and never moved a muscle, literally looked like the air was sucked out of it. The other one I shot straight in the chest, looked like someone hooked it up to electricity fell down and just shook for a few seconds. Interesting that both had very little meat damage. I think it completely depends on where you shoot the animal. Like the rest of you I have seen a 243 destroy a shoulder and a lot of meat.

Shoot 'em with what you got!

Doesn't it kind of matter a bit how and where the bullet hits and exits? My first javelin I shot with a 30.06 and overall not that bad... there was a bit of a larger hole which let the blood drip down my neck faster than usual as I packed him out over my shoulder.. Lol. It was nasty. But I even shoulder mounted him and it sewed up just fine.

I have never killed one with a gun, so this year I figured I would drag out the 338 snipe tac with the 300gr vld at 3100fps and see if I can give one a bad day at 1000.

• Like 3

So would a Remington core-lokt be good? Would I go ahead and still go for the same spot behind the collar?

If core lokt is what you typically use then shoot em. But if you are picking something for this hunt I would go with a solid in lieu of the soft point. Those core lots are deadly but tend to be highly frangible. I am known for defaulting to high shoulder shots under pressure and have just plain taken limbs off some animals with those rounds.

",,, I'm hoping for 800 yard shot ."

Why would you want to back away from from an animal that is so easy to approach within spitting distance? I can't think of any javelina I've killed with rifle, bow, muzzleloader or handgun that was farther than 75 yards. The closest was just two long steps.

Bill Quimby

Thanks for all the input everyone. I think I might just take out the .300 for the hunt this feb. Thanks again!

",,, I'm hoping for 800 yard shot ." Why would you want to back away from from an animal that is so easy to approach within spitting distance? I can't think of any javelina I've killed with rifle, bow, muzzleloader or handgun that was farther than 75 yards. The closest was just two long steps. Bill Quimby

Cuz we don't care if we miss on a pig and if I hit it anywhere its ded, and it's just fun!