deadheads

San Carlos D Tag

Does anyone have any information on Unit D that they would be willing to share...not asking for specifics, We have been hunting C and couldn't get C tags this year so ended up with Jan D tags. I understand D isn't what it use to be. Coming down from Utah and work hasn't allowed me to come down and get familiar with the unit. Can anyone tell me what to expect as far as quality? And any areas we should avoid more than areas to go.

Thx, Deadheads

I hunted it about five years ago. Very dissapointed. Lots of lion sign down there. Saw a lion and only two bucks over 80". It might be worth it just to hunt lions there.

I hunted 26DE in January of 2011 and 26DE+W this past January. You might be better to hunt with a guide a few days. If you decide to hunt without a guide I can give you some basic information.

i hunted d-west a few years back and was disappointed.didn't see many deer at all and no good bucks,i'm sure they are there but we didn't find them, we went onto the rez over by winkleman and hunted that southwest corner.

Here's a few from last years JAN flight, if you squint your eyes really hard they start to pop out everywhere ;)

DAN

post-529-0-36718200-1387675349.jpg

post-529-0-86346200-1387675395.jpg

post-529-0-97049100-1387675405.jpg

post-529-0-29621300-1387675413.jpg

post-529-0-05698100-1387675420.jpg

• Like 2

They're definitely out there if you poke around, lots of snow and chilly temps in the area lately so the Rut may be spot on :)

DAN

Used to be? It still is.....Unit D is my "backyard". Most hunters I've witnessed in unit D seem to pass some excellent country. Its rough as heck on your truck and legs but they're there.

The roads are bad...I've been archery hunting in D this past few weeks. Alotta WT movement, rut seems to be getting into high gear. Within three days we found 6 different bucks. No teeners but some nice'uns.

Long story short........there's one less buck in unit D this year. He's now in my freezer.

• Like 4

I have hunted in 3 times over the last 4 years. It is an interesting unit. Even if you had time to scout you could not. Non-members are not allowed into D unless they are hunting white tail and then you can only be in there 3 days before the hunt. If you have never been hunting in D I would recommend going with a guide, they will usually work you out a reasonable deal. I have had experience with a couple of different guides. I have hunted with Dewey Wesley. He is a class act, just depends on if he has availability. I have spoken to Hoss (on this forum) on the phone, he appears to be a class act as well and seems to be honest and doesn't hype it up like some. I have had a bad experience with one guide, Gabriel Jackson (turnbull guide service). Be careful of him, that's all I will say on that one. It is difficult to kill something over 100 inches in the unit, but it is possible. I have hunted typically the entire season all years, give or take a day or two. The southwest corner of the unit is popular and for good reasons, you'll probably want to spend a bit of time in that area. The unit is enormous and deer are found from one end to the other. They are not in every canyon though, but tend to be in small pockets. Knowing the unit pretty well, If you don't go with a guide, I would expect you'll have a pretty tough hunt and will probably not want to go back.

Thanks to all for the useful information, it will give us a place to start the search. We will be heading down soon and we're looking forward to a fun hunt. I'll give an up date when we get finished. Again thank you to the guys that offered their opinions and information. Thank you!