Sign in to follow this  
FB67

My Sons elk hunt

I was fortunate enough to find a great outfitter in New Mexico that had cow landowner tags available for a reasonable price. I just never seemed to have the time over the last five years to put my sons in for Arizona where we live, and when we did get drawn for deer I didn’t spend the time needed for a quality hunt. Well it has been predetermined that we only get one shot at this game of life and my sons are getting older and so am I, so I sprung for two cow tags in New Mexico not expensive compared to bull tags but there is a cost. The guide was great he was out of Springerville good man. I only have PICS of my first son’s smaller cow, she was shot at 250 yards and follow up shot at 300 yards. First shot was low went through her and blew out her front left leg. Second shot hammered her. My younger son shot his at 380 yards a little back from being perfect she ran down the valley stopped and he put another one in her at 500 yards game over. Forgot the camera on our hike in and had to quarter her to get her out. Rifle was a 1974 Ruger M77 300 win that had a break installed, trigger work and refinish done by a smith hear in AZ. He is known more for his 1911 work but did me a favor, thanks Theo.
post-10684-0-05470500-1387568725_thumb.jpgpost-10684-0-90218100-1387568862_thumb.jpg

post-10684-0-30516900-1387568754_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Congrats to you all! Cow hunts are a blast, hopefully you can put them in for AZ this year.

• Like 1

Congrats on a successful hunt and being able to spend great moments with your boys!

Sounds like a great hunt. Congrats

So awesome! Congrats!

Very nice!! Sounded like a lot of fun! Congrats to the hunters on their harvests!!