Sign in to follow this  
gotcoues

Father/Son Archery Double

My son Dillon and I headed out today after the rained cleared up a bit. As we started heading into the small canyons were I'd seen pigs recently, we glassed as we walked through. Soon after we got into the second draw, we found beds and really fresh scat. We snuck around keeping our eyes open and not long we spotted pigs about 100 yards away. We got to about 80 yards and one headed right for us. He got to about 40 yards and must of smelled us. He woofed a few times and went back to the herd. They all bedded down, soon after and we crept in. We waited at 30 yards, but could only see the top of the pig pile and we didn't have a shot. They were bedded behind a small raised pile of rocks. We decided to keep creeping in and soon we were less than 10 yards. As I was moving Dillon in front of me, one stood up and made eye contact. The herd immediately busted out and I started woofing. D threw out some woofs as well. They were moving all around us and one ended up stopping broadside. Dillon let go of an arrow, and then quickly told me he missed. I was watching another one come around to our right. He stopped and I settled in and dot shot him right in the collar with a tremendous thwack sound. I quickly grabbed my rabbit distress call and let it rip. Another pig circled all the way behind us and stopped behind a small ocotillo. Dillon was at full draw and swung around with the moving pig waiting for his shot. (Me) "shoot" (D) "I can't" (ME) "shoot" (D) "he's behind the bush" (Me) "shoot him through the bush" Thwack!! He hammers the shoulder and the pigs tips right over in his tracks. The shot was about 15 yards and the ocotillo only had 6 or so limbs. I knew when the pig started to move again he probably wouldn't give D another chance. The high 5s began and we couldn't believe how this had just played out. We got the pigs field dressed and started the pack out right as we were losing light. Dropped the stinkers off at WGP and hit the DQ for our ceremonial celebration blizzards!

post-754-0-66898400-1387596685_thumb.jpg

post-754-0-93002500-1387596804_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I can't wait for these trips. I got one Monday and all I heard all week from my son is how he is going to get him a pig when he turns 10. Great story!

• Like 1

Sounds like a blast and nice pictures too

Congratulations Justin and Dillon. I would have loved to have been there to see it all go down the way you wrote. That's a good day and a lifetime of memories for sure. Thanks for sharing.

TJ

It doesn't get any better than that! Great hunt together, congrats to you both.