Sign in to follow this  
Apache7mm

SC Rez 2014-15 Non-Member Coues Lottery Draw

i have had 3 hunts on the san carlos rez. the first hunt was a jan. tag back in '99 and i killed a big 2 point, saw a ton of deer , my buddy killed a 3x3 that would;ve been a 100'' buck had not been broken. back then i think the tag was $900. then we bought a late nov. tag i'm gonna guess around '03 and it sucked, neither one of us killed a buck. in '08 i had a tag and killed a 120''buck the action that year was insane rutting activity everywhere, bucks everywhere.one morning i saw 22 different bucks.tag was $1500 i think. there are some giants there and what is nice is knowing that when you're going hunting there that there aren't 800 other people competing with you on the same hunt and that there weren't 3 hunts with 1 ,000's of permits ahead of your hunt.for someone to say it's EASY to kill a 100'' buck on any hunt i'd have to say you're crazy, it takes doing your homework and having a little luck on your side. if i could budget the $2000 in my situation i would definately buy another tag it is a great experience.

• Like 2

i have had 3 hunts on the san carlos rez. the first hunt was a jan. tag back in '99 and i killed a big 2 point, saw a ton of deer , my buddy killed a 3x3 that would;ve been a 100'' buck had not been broken. back then i think the tag was $900. then we bought a late nov. tag i'm gonna guess around '03 and it sucked, neither one of us killed a buck. in '08 i had a tag and killed a 120''buck the action that year was insane rutting activity everywhere, bucks everywhere.one morning i saw 22 different bucks.tag was $1500 i think. there are some giants there and what is nice is knowing that when you're going hunting there that there aren't 800 other people competing with you on the same hunt and that there weren't 3 hunts with 1 ,000's of permits ahead of your hunt.for someone to say it's EASY to kill a 100'' buck on any hunt i'd have to say you're crazy, it takes doing your homework and having a little luck on your side. if i could budget the $2000 in my situation i would definately buy another tag it is a great experience.

I Never said it was easy to kill a 100 inch buck on these hunts of course you have to put in the time and have luck on your side.I take people every year that have hunted 20-30 years and don't know a lot about hunting it's amazing.men and women,without others helping they are lost.I would love to see a pic of your awesome 120 inch buck.

I took the hunter ed class a few weeks ago, and the topic of hunting on reservations came up. They said that under Arizona law the 1 deer limit per year applies to the entire state, on and off reservation. I asked some follow up questions about this but they said that's the law...I thought if was preposterous- how can a reservation be considered a sovereign nation, at least in local matters, and have the 1 deer a year limit apply when all other Arizona hunting rules are null and void (try taking your AZ fishing permit or hunting license on a reservation and see what happens).

Has anyone looked into this? I am inclined to believe you can hunt 1 deer within the borders of Arizona (outside of tribal land), and on tribal land you can take whatever the local tribal law dictates.

Good luck on the draw.

There maybe more lions about but there's also more deer , can't have one without the other. One thing about predator and prey relationship is they keep each other in check. A Tommy lion is the ultimate deer, elk, coyote, feral horse, dog, cattle and the best lion killing machine on the planet.

• Like 1

Everyone who hunted NOV 2013 or JAN 2014 for Coues on the Rez needs to have turned in their Hunter Questionnaire and Photo of their buck to the department in order to be eligible for the NOV '14 and JAN '15 lottery.

DAN

• Like 1