westernhunter23

7mm rem mag load for nosler long range accubonds

Does anyone have any load data for noslers new long range accubonds? I have a box of 168 grain I was going to use a load similar to Berger but wantedt I check prior. Thanks

I use RL22 with 63 grains of powder, chron at 2830 and shooting 3/4" groups at 100 yards. Broke my elk's shoulder and destroyed the lungs at 112 yards. Dropped him in his tracks. Hopefully get to see what they do to a couse deer this weekend!

/>I use RL22 with 63 grains of powder, chron at 2830 and shooting 3/4" groups at 100 yards. Broke my elk's shoulder and destroyed the lungs at 112 yards. Dropped him in his tracks. Hopefully get to see what they do to a couse deer this weekend!

Did you recover that bullet?

I did recover the bullet in the opposite shoulder or what was left of it. The bullet had turned into shrapnel instead of expanding and retaining its mass like the accubonds are suppose to do. What was left looked like the hornaday sst I use on deer. If I can find the bullet I will post a pic. Not too sure where I put it but the bullet dropped the elk on its tracks so what else could you ask for?

Cant ask for much more. So far they seem encouraging. I have yet to hear anybody say that they hold together like a traditional accubond but I'm not sure you can have a bullet hold up like the original AND expand at 1300'sec. Either way, it's nice to have a hunting bullet with a lower expansion threshold and decent BC.

Thanks,

M

Everything I have read about them has them working very similar to the berger bullets. Funny how this seems to be ok now that noslers name is on the box for the nosler guys.

My wife shot her buck with an old accubond. It performed like a Berger as well. Probably more of a "Berger" result than I had on the buck I shot with a 308 and Berger.

/>Everything I have read about them has them working very similar to the berger bullets. Funny how this seems to be ok now that noslers name is on the box for the nosler guys.
Not quite true. Many if the bergers require 1800'sec to expand. 500'sec is a big difference.

Even the 260 can benefit from the lower velocity for expansion threshold.

Like I've said before. The 1800 number is probably a safe recommendation and does not guarantee that the bullet will not work below that. I have personally seen them work extremely well at long range and below that threshold.

Fair enough but below 1800'sec they're too unpredictable. Maybe the will expand. Maybe they won't. Too many maybes for my taste. Cases where they've worked below the 1800' mark are far less than when the haven't worked.

If they're working for you, I've no desire to see you change directions. They don't always work for me. Have I used them? Yup. Have I killed game with them? Yup. Will I continue to use them? Yup. But with the same attitude I take when approaching a flashing yellow light while driving. That is, proceed with caution. I use them more in my 6.5x284 than anything.

Like anything else, bullets should be used within the parameters for which they were designed. Since I know some of my hunting shots will be at ranges where impact velocities will be below 1800'sec, I won't use them on any hunt where my abilities are greater than the ability of the bullet. Hence the reason I've used amaxs so extensively in my 308s over the years. Reliable expansion even way out there. Now I have a 190 class bullet in a vld design with the expansion of an amax. When Berger offers that, I'll be an even bigger fan than I already am. Until then, I will continue to see life beyond the Berger.

Funny you mention the Amax and bullets that should be used for what they are designed in the same sentence as those are stated directly by the manufacturer not to be used for hunting. I know they work well, I have killed animals with them and seen plenty killed with them. But I still shoot what shoots best in my rifles and 9 times out of 10 its the Berger. After all its about putting the bullet where it belongs more than anything. A quality shot in the vitals will produce a clean kill at any range every time regardless of bullet choice.