Sign in to follow this  
NM_Shedder

Who's Ready?

I have never really shed hunted either but was told the following. Please let me know if this is accurate.

1. Find where the deer/Elk are wintering at

2. First look around water or fences if there are any. The jolting from jumping and hitting the ground some times loosens the antlers up.

3. look for rubs. Just like Deer/Elk like to rub to get velvet off they like to do they same to shed antlers.

Please let me know if this is true. Again never been but would love to take my little ones to go on a fun hike to explore.

Ya, but don't just look around those areas., bedding areas, trails, and just about anywhere the animals are. I personally have only found 3 little spikes along the fence lines, but I know a lot of people find sheds along fences. There's a lot more places to look than just what you were told.

One of my all time favorite pics. We were hiking a ridge, steepern heck, just trying to get from point A to point B.

We were next to a fence that followed the ridge.

I found the first one and pissed my wife off so she insisted to take the lead.

15 yards on down the ridge she found the other side.

They are not very big but a memorable find.

post-2034-0-22493800-1389144090_thumb.jpg

Then Cole the lucky sucker tripped across this pair while he was supposed to be looking for our trail cam.

post-2034-0-99112600-1389144191_thumb.jpg

Then this one I practically had to stick Coles nose on it before he could see it.

post-2034-0-72904700-1389144231_thumb.jpg

Are we ready..........heck yeah, counting the days.....

One of my all time favorite pics. We were hiking a ridge, steepern heck, just trying to get from point A to point B.

We were next to a fence that followed the ridge.

I found the first one and pissed my wife off so she insisted to take the lead.

15 yards on down the ridge she found the other side.

They are not very big but a memorable find.

attachicon.gifIMG_2360.JPG

Then Cole the lucky sucker tripped across this pair while he was supposed to be looking for our trail cam.

attachicon.gifIMG_2361.JPG

Then this one I practically had to stick Coles nose on it before he could see it.

attachicon.gifIMG_2368.JPG

Are we ready..........heck yeah, counting the days.....

Thats awesome What to go Cole,

Can not keep my wife out of the forest. She is still finding them.

post-8631-0-41128200-1389726331.jpg

• Like 1

I found my first and second sheds of the year last weekend. Not much but it was something.

post-4217-0-29007700-1389749902_thumb.jpg

NO!! Not as long as I work for the department! Lol, i'm sure non-members will never be allowed to collect sheds, very popular as you would imagine, so popular that more and more ppl break the rules every year (closed FEBnMAR).

DAN

Dan you find a few more than that in a day and you're in for a heavy haul my friend. Bet you've never done that before….

• Like 1

Been thinking about it, heres a few pics from couple of years ago. Don't think Sandra could handle much more than this!

post-1600-0-99139000-1389981169_thumb.jpgpost-1600-0-43764300-1389981210_thumb.jpgpost-1600-0-39184700-1389981478_thumb.jpg

post-1600-0-33343400-1389981357_thumb.jpg

• Like 2