MT_Sourdough

looking to learn from a successful predator hunter

What is the best cover scent to use?

I've used some earth oil in the past from Sportsmans, it's worked for me

So, before I go again, I gotta go get my 2014 licenses and pick up some de-stink and re-stink stuff. It'll be next week before I'll be able to get at it again. Can't wait.

I went to the range today to pin down my final load for the 22-250. Dialed it in with repatable 3/4" groups for 5 shots measured center to center and shot at 100 yards. That is exactly what I was hoping for. If I wanted better, I would have bought a rifle with a heavier barrel. I wanted to start with an easy to carry rifle that will be good for coyotes out to 300 yards max. I hope to keep shots under 200, but with the right shot opportunity, I'll be willing to stretch it out for pokes at coyotes if it wont come in any closer.

So the only pieces of the puzzle, still needed are the 2014 licenses/tags and scent masking things. I am getting excited knowing I am getting close to scoring my first "called" coyote.

When I was a kid living on our ranch in Montana, I was able to call in coyotes by imitating their calls/howling. Back then, I never knew anybody that could do that besides myself. My friends from town would come visiting and on a couple of occasions, I'd scare the heck out of them by calling the coyotes down to where we would be standing. The coyotes would come running out of the trees and I would turn around to see my friends making a mad dash for my house. Of course, my voice changed and I was never able to hit those pitches again.

I bought a predator call (some sort of rabbit distress) back then, but I never was able to bring one in with it. 30 years later and I am finally about to get serious.

• Like 1

Ask James, (JLW) he's a member here. He's the best predator hunter and his style or techniques are the best and the only one that will work -_-

Every hunter has it own way, style or technique for calling predators, my own way of calling coyotes have work wonders to me. I will send you a PM answering your questions. Don't want to upset any one.

Once you get response from several people you can try everything and you'll get the best from each. Good luck on you upcoming predator hunts. :)

Ernesto C :D

Ernesto,

if i offended you by disagreeing with a post you made about not using pup distress I apologize.

no offence intended.... just shared that it actually works for me...

James

• Like 1

What is the best cover scent to use?

I've used some earth oil in the past from Sportsmans, it's worked for me

use it if you like but IMO its a waste of money nothing can beat a coyotes nose 10,000 time better than ours and most of your scent comes from your mouth anyway

• Like 1

Today, I got my first confirmed response to my Primos Alpha Dogg. The changing wind had me wandering off into a different direction than I was planning and I was having a difficult time finding a good place to set-up. I tried a couple different sets early, but ended them quick, because I realized they weren't any good. Too tight. But on my third and final set, I had immediate response from a coyote followed by a serenade of multiple coyotes. They were really close, but they were down wind of the caller and I believe they caught wind from the caller cause they were a coming. I had the set up anticipating approaches from my left or directly in front. For that reason, I set the caller and decoy more to the right side of my window. The coyotes came from the right and I didn't have a view to the direction they were coming.

So, I am getting close. No Cigar, but I am going to get a kill soon. I did get plenty of exercise.

• Like 1

I have a question for ya'all. Now I have definitely located a pack den, but they might have been spooked. How long should I let them cool down before I go after them again?

OP - Buddy and I are in the a similar boat, learning a ton in a few short outings. How are you progressing the last month?

All - Thanks for some good advice, I'm wondering how you experienced guys might handle a particular situation -

The Context: Yesterday, we had a great looking/dominant horse come straight into a pig in distress call sequence, followed shortly by a single yote 200 yards cross/downwind, he/she started to bugger off slowly and diagonally away after either winding us or seeing the horse.

The Question: Do you take a shot on that slowly moving coyote at that distance and potentially miss (I did), leaving him alive and educated? Or do you shoot every chance you get? Thanks!

Buddy and I feel that shooting and missing is the worst thing we can do as it keeps an educated dog in a good calling area but you can't kill 'em if you don't choot 'em so...

• Like 1

Has anyone tried sucking on the back of their hand to make squeaks and squeals? Many years ago, I called in a couple of foxes, a coati, and a coyote that way. I also had some luck by blowing on makeshift reeds made from small pieces of cellophane from cigarette packs (I still smoked then) that I held tightly with both thumbs and forefingers.

Bill Quimby

OP - Buddy and I are in the a similar boat, learning a ton in a few short outings. How are you progressing the last month?

All - Thanks for some good advice, I'm wondering how you experienced guys might handle a particular situation -

The Context: Yesterday, we had a great looking/dominant horse come straight into a pig in distress call sequence, followed shortly by a single yote 200 yards cross/downwind, he/she started to bugger off slowly and diagonally away after either winding us or seeing the horse.

The Question: Do you take a shot on that slowly moving coyote at that distance and potentially miss (I did), leaving him alive and educated? Or do you shoot every chance you get? Thanks!

Buddy and I feel that shooting and missing is the worst thing we can do as it keeps an educated dog in a good calling area but you can't kill 'em if you don't choot 'em so...

As long as I had a clear shot I would have taken it. I can't remember ever passing on a shot and although I have missed a few shots over the years I can probably say that I usually hit them 95% of the time.

• Like 1

Has anyone tried sucking on the back of their hand to make squeaks and squeals? Many years ago, I called in a couple of foxes, a coati, and a coyote that way. I also had some luck by blowing on makeshift reeds made from small pieces of cellophane from cigarette packs (I still smoked then) that I held tightly with both thumbs and forefingers.

Bill Quimby

While out with my bow in January I saw a coyote about 100 yards away. I always jokingly will do the back of the hand sucking to make what sound to me like realistic squeals. As soon as I did he came right towards me got to 50 yards and hung up! I didn't want to waste an arrow but if I had a firearm I would of had one!

Bill Quimby

While out with my bow in January I saw a coyote about 100 yards away. I always jokingly will do the back of the hand sucking to make what sound to me like realistic squeals. As soon as I did he came right towards me got to 50 yards and hung up! I didn't want to waste an arrow but if I had a firearm I would of had one!

Actually worked for you?? I've heard of guys doing it but I've never tried it. Guess I will give it a try next time I go out!

As far cover scents go, there has been some long discussions on this on PredatorMasters about it. Most the veterans and old timers seem to think most of it is a waste of time. Just dont go out with cologne or perfume on basically. These are guys who kill pretty regularly too. There was alink provided that showed how strong a coyotes nose is and showed you can only fool it for a very brief time if at all. No matter how hard you try. Alot of them liked to use skunk scent because of its strength and how often they probably smell it in the wild when they did use cover scents.