Sign in to follow this  
resolute

Reloading press

I have decided to start reloading myself. What press do you veterans recommend. I am willing to spend some money to get set up right. Dillon 550? Hornandy lock and load? I will be doing pistol and rifle cartridges. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

I started many years ago with a single stage RCBS press, which I continue to use. I got a pretty good deal on a couple Dillon 's 550's and a Dillon RL1050. It probably comes down to the volume you plan to shoot. I still use the RCBS for all my precision rifle reloading. I use the Dillon equipment for high volume pistol calibers and/or 223 loads. If I were starting out again, I would probably recommend the Dillon as it will handle most all calibers out there. Many would recommend starting with a single stage press, but that would in part depend on one's aptitude and how one pays attention to detail. I was 13 when I started reloading, so the single stage was definitely the right way to go.

For rifle I would stick to a singlestage, I use a forster single stage. Consistency equals accuracy, progressive presses are great, but aren't nearly as consistent. All of my handgun ammo, with exception of .223, I load on a 550. Even though I use my dillon to load .223 I still do several steps on a single stage first, like sizing, trimming, chamfer, and debur. Then I use the dillon to prime, drop powder, seat a bullet and crimp. Of course you can use a progressive for everything, but it does start to become a pain with rifle as you will need to trim the brass after sizing.

• Like 2

I think a progressive press will have a pretty steep learning curve, I would start with a single stage til you figure things out. Less overall start up cost so if you don't like not as big a deal. I started with a single stage and now have a turret press that I think is as far as I will go because I just don't do much pistol reloading to benefit from a progressive.

Rockchucker by RCBS, great for simple or precise loading.

• Like 2

So if I go with a single stage to learn the ropes, are the kits worth it? Cabelas has the rocker chucker full master kit in the bargain cave right now.....

You should be able to save some money by getting a kit RCBS equipment is rock solid and what 90% of reloaders started out with. I don't know what comes in the kit but one thing you will want is a set of dial calipers to measure OAL and case length.

I bit the bullet and started with a Dillon 550 but now have a redding turret. You can make plenty accurate loads for rifle on the 550 and it will be worth ever penny if you plan on cranking out pistol rounds in large volumes. Or go with the redding turret press, not as fast as the Dillon but will make very accurate rifle rounds as well the progressive pistol needs.

Oh and the learning curve is not a big issue as you can get videos to show you how to load with anything you buy.

As mentioned you will need additional equipment for case prep, cleaning, cartridge development, etc.

Also check longrangehunting.com, 6mmBR, etc for deals on used equipment.

If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me.

I started on a Lee single stage kit. It worked great. I then moved to a lee classic turret, and now I have the Hornady Lock N Load. I still have all my old Lee stuff too.

I started out with a RCBS rock checker and still use it. It is a great press for rifle rounds and heavy caliber or odd pistol rounds that are expensive to shoot like .38 super, 44 mag, 45 LC, etc. I won't load 9mm and such on this unless I have to because it is to time consuming to make it worth while to me. Anything over about $25/box for pistols is where single stage is worth the time IMO. For rifles other then practice .223 or 7.62x39 it is all worth it.

My current rifle is .257 Weatherby and at $40-80/box of 20 rounds it is worth every penny to reload. I can make my ammo even with premium bullets for half the price or less then factory ammo.

If you shoot a lot of pistol get the 550 and a single stage for rifle rounds.

• Like 1

I bit the bullet and started with a Dillon 550 but now have a redding turret. You can make plenty accurate loads for rifle on the 550 and it will be worth ever penny if you plan on cranking out pistol rounds in large volumes. Or go with the redding turret press, not as fast as the Dillon but will make very accurate rifle rounds as well the progressive pistol needs.

Oh and the learning curve is not a big issue as you can get videos to show you how to load with anything you buy.

As mentioned you will need additional equipment for case prep, cleaning, cartridge development, etc.

Also check longrangehunting.com, 6mmBR, etc for deals on used equipment.

If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me.

Thx!

I started with the original hand and hammer Lee loader before most of you were born. Moved up to a RCBS for rifle, pistol, and a Mec for shotgun. The new factory rifle, pistol, and shotgun shells do the job just fine. Gave away my reloading stuff. It is not worth it unless you want to shoot nats.