Sign in to follow this  
ctafoya

Tumbler Media

Got a new tumbler from santa. It came with walnut media. It seems like its cleaning but not polishing. Do I need to leave it in longer or switch to a corn type.

I have notice if I reduce the amount of brass, it does a better job polishing. It always does a great job cleaning no matter what amount I put in. I have the big Lyman one and it seems to so well with 300-400 pieces of 223. If I put 600 - 900 pieces in it doesn't polish as well but they always come out nice and clean.

I dunno, i love walnut media though, seems to last longer

Which Tumbler? How long are you letting it run and how many pieces of brass are you sticking in there? It isn't going to polish it like it was new brass. It "might" if you use the stainless steel media.

All you really need is to get the grit and carbon off so you can resize it without getting grit in your dies and so you can see if there are any cracks or splits around the necks or if you are reloading 223 watch for the ring around the case about 5/8" up from the base indicating case head separation.

I use only walnut, just add a little more every once in awhile. I think it does better work than corn cob.

I usually let it run 4 hours minimum before I pull out the brass.

Lots of folks have their own special formula.