Sign in to follow this  
Umpqua

Did Unit 1 get shot out in 2013?

I too would be curious where your buddy got his information.

I dont mean to discredit him but he is wrong. B) First off AZGFD is way to conservative to let any age class of elk in unit 1 get shot out.

Yes, the last 2 years tag numbers have gone up, harvest has gone up but so has the population (thanks to the wallow fire)!

When you draw a tag the G&F dept sends a survey card out and they only break it down to calf, cow, spike or a bull with x by x number of points.

Unless teeth are collected or there is a check station in the unit (there isnt) there is no way to see specific age classes.

I do have a friend who is one of the two wildlife managers in unit one and when they fly for sex/age ratios that is all they are really looking for as well.

With all that said I wouldnt burn any points in unit 1 or 27, they are over rated. Try unit 9 or 10 :rolleyes:.
Or what units the other folks are suggesting :rolleyes:

Good look in the draw!

Jeff

I dont mean to discredit him but he is wrong. B) First off AZGFD is way to conservative to let any age class of elk in unit 1 get shot out.

Yes, the last 2 years tag numbers have gone up, harvest has gone up but so has the population (thanks to the wallow fire)!

When you draw a tag the G&F dept sends a survey card out and they only break it down to calf, cow, spike or a bull with x by x number of points.

Unless teeth are collected or there is a check station in the unit (there isnt) there is no way to see specific age classes.

I do have a friend who is one of the two wildlife managers in unit one and when they fly for sex/age ratios that is all they are really looking for as well.

With all that said I wouldnt burn any points in unit 1 or 27, they are over rated. Try unit 9 or 10 :rolleyes:.

Good look in the draw!

Jeff

How many days or weeks did you spend this year in unit 1 or 27 to base that they are over rated,my buddy that has hunted unit one his whole life said this was the best achery hunt he has ever been on in 35 years of bow hunting,

this year,other then Mossback and the Azstrip outfitters who did any good this year in unit 9 or 10,

Good look in the draw!

Jeff

How many days or weeks did you spend this year in unit 1 or 27 to base that they are over rated,my buddy that has hunted unit one his whole life said this was the best achery hunt he has ever been on in 35 years of bow hunting,

this year,other then Mossback and the Azstrip outfitters who did any good this year in unit 9 or 10,

hi im sarcasm, have we met?

• Like 5

Every time I hear about Unit 10 I hear about controversy and too much private land. I have 16 points this year ... I'm looking at other units ... 1, 3a/3c, 23, 27 are some I'm considering.

LOL Trphyhntr.

Yes, Seldom drawn I was being sarcastic.

But if you must know I have been drawn the last 2 years (hoping for 3 :D )for archery bull in unit 27

and have spent a few days scouting and hunting the unit, so I am aware of the good hunting.

I have also spent time in unit 1 hunting cow elk with my daughter on the junior hunts the last couple years.

Not to mention any family camping is done in one of these units for the last 7 years.

Jeff

LOL Trphyhntr.

Yes, Seldom drawn I was being sarcastic.

But if you must know I have been drawn the last 2 years (hoping for 3 :D )for archery bull in unit 27

and have spent a few days scouting and hunting the unit, so I am aware of the good hunting.

I have also spent time in unit 1 hunting cow elk with my daughter on the junior hunts the last couple years.

Not to mention any family camping is done in one of these units for the last 7 years.

Jeff

I, too, have been draw for archery bull in 27 the last 2 years...come on 3!!!!!!

[quote name="Flatlander" post="432121"

Flatlander, forget the sunflower seeds come up for fall Chinook salmon fishing. I'll take you out for some hard fighting, super eating fish. Last fall (July-August) we put two 30+ pound fish in the boat, lost a 40+ at the boat and landed numerous 15 to 25 pound fish.

Which river? I lived in Hood River and Vancouver, WA.

[quote name="Flatlander" post="432121"

Flatlander, forget the sunflower seeds come up for fall Chinook salmon fishing. I'll take you out for some hard fighting, super eating fish. Last fall (July-August) we put two 30+ pound fish in the boat, lost a 40+ at the boat and landed numerous 15 to 25 pound fish.

Which river? I lived in Hood River and Vancouver, WA.

The Umpqua, Coos and Chetco. Umpqua is my home river.

Is that in unit one?......BOB!

No Hood River is Unit 42 ;)

People keep saying units 1 and 27 have more elk in them since the fire, hence the increase in tag numbers by the game and fish. IMO this is false and it may SEEM like there are more elk. I think many of the elk that lived below the rim and in areas outside the burn have migrated to the burn for better feed, providing the false impression that there has been a huge upswing in the population overall. I spend a good amount of time in 27 and MANY areas that held elk before the fire, have hardly had an elk in them since. I'm afraid that the increase in tags really is going to hurt the overall quality of bulls in these units. I wouldn't doubt that the hunter kill rate has gone up since the fire as well. Many areas that were super thick with tree cover were cooked by the fire, opening them up and making it easy to see the elk than before. These badly burnt areas recieved the bulk of the reseeding too. There will always be huge bulls, but i think the boom in quality the past few years will suffer......for sure. I think the elk population is about the same but more condensed now, where it looks as if there are more.

• Like 2