Sign in to follow this  
coatimundi01

No piggies but a BIG first!

After getting him a kid's king's camo set and some cheapie 8x21s for Xmas, my 5 year old got to go on his very first hunt today! We didn't see anything, but we got out and he had fun. We got on some pretty fresh looking sign right away and I showed him the tracks and let him follow them for a while. Showed him where the deer and pigs were rooting, the chomped ears of prickly pear, and the barrel cactus fruits that were eaten off. Did a little yote calling and saw some of the biggest mule deer tracks I've ever seen so I guess I better grab my '14 archery tag, lol! I wear a size 10 boot for size reference on the pic of the deer track.

post-11483-0-06955200-1388782500_thumb.jpg

post-11483-0-18695000-1388782548_thumb.jpg

post-11483-0-85234400-1388782588_thumb.jpg

post-11483-0-12146800-1388782632_thumb.jpg

post-11483-0-86319400-1388782744_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Awesome...some great memories right there. My son is already bugging me to get out again. Taking him with me on the HAM hunt this year, but might have to get him out a couple of times before that!

Yeah, I know they're in there. This was the third time I've been to that spot (the other times have been quail hunting) and have seen fresh pig and deer sign everytime. Just a matter of exactly locating them.

Is it pretty flat land or with ridges? If you are quite certain they are around blowing on a distress call may bring then in closer. Or maybe a car freshener of wild berries :-D

It's completely flat. I did wail on a javi call every so often. I think it was just hard to tell what was really fresh and what was a day or two old track. I need it to rain and give me a fresh slate!

I took my nine year old on a good hike while deer hunting and he had a blast and was able to keep up the whole time without complaining. I was very proud of that, we saw a few does but no buck but also found a decent size heard of pigs that I will be going back after with my bow. He really enjoyed watching the javelinas through his binos and is getting pumped for the hunter education courses so that he can take out his own big game soon.

• Like 2

Way to get your son into the great outdoors! An excellent way to bond!! You can't have a much better hunting partner than that!!