I drew a muzzleloader any antlered deer tag on Ft. Huachuca for mid November this year. Having hunted there several times before I knew the area. The first couple days were hard to find deer with the rain and wind and then with several days of wind. The deer were staying down in the draws and hard to see. The first evening I got to 135 yards of a very nice buck but could not hold the crosshairs on him. He laid down and when I tried to move closer he busted out without me being able to get a shot.

Mid week I passed on a buck with a weak G-3 on the left side. By the second Saturday I decided it was time to go get him if I could. He had crossed a ridge into a draw about 11 in the morning and not come out. I worked up the side of the draw without seeing the bedded deer. When he did move it was on a run and I got no shot. Just before dark I got a second chance. I found him feeding on the side of another draw and this time I closed the deal just before dark.

The most interesting thing was that when I cleaned the hide off the head the next day I found a broadhead imbedded in the back of the skull. It appeared to have been there from a prior year.

post-5914-0-15170900-1388958158_thumb.jpg

post-5914-0-36788900-1388958168_thumb.jpg

post-5914-0-06226300-1388958178_thumb.jpg

post-5914-0-33720000-1388958187_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Very cool deer hunt and discovery! Real nice buck you harvested too. Congratulations on your success and welcome to the site.

Congratulations Bill!! Very nice buck and it's great you got that live pic of him too. I can't believe what animals can survive...a broadhead in the skull....wow! Glad you didn't slice your hand open caping him out!

Congrats on an awesome buck. I shot a bull few years back with a hole bigger than my thumb going through his face right up next to the brain cavity from being gored by another bull. Like Amanda said amazing what animals can survive.

Congratulations on a nice buck! It never ceases to amaze me what they can live through.

Amazing!! Thanks for sharing that!! Congrats on your Buck!!

Great deer and pictures. I too am surprised how animals adapt after a serious injury.