Sign in to follow this  
jcarter

First bow kill

Well January 1st couldn’t come fast enough; of course I had to work the first 2 days of the hunt and couldn’t get to my spot until 10 o’clock on the 3rd. I was bummed about getting out so late but knowing the rut was in full swing I figured it would be good. I got settled in to my brush blind and not 25 minutes latter had 2 spikes pushing a doe around 15 yards in front of me, they pushed that poor doe in circles for almost an hour

After the spikes cleared out all was quiet for about 20 minutes, I caught movement out of the corner of my eye and saw 2 does working their way toward me. I was hoping there was a buck behind them and sure enough there was. As soon as I saw the buck I recognized him from trail cam pics. I had gone over this buck in my head at home and wasn’t sure if I would shoot him due to there being some bigger bucks in the area. As I watched the buck follow the does towards me I could hear myself saying "be patient this is opening morning for you, wait for the big one" over and over. The buck walked behind a tree that I had ranged earlier at 18 yards, instinctively I drew back my bow as he stepped out I let out a grunt stopping him in his tracks ,all the while telling myself this isn’t the deer for opening day. My finger pulled the release and I sent the 100 grain muzzy completely through him. I watched him crash 35 yards from where he was shot. I then realized how wobbly my legs were and had to sit down for almost ten minutes. As I walked up to him I remembered why I love hunting these animals and was thankful I had taken the shot . He isn’t the biggest deer in the woods but I couldn’t be happier with him.

There is a member of CWT I want to thank, he has given me a ton of advice and this deer might not have been possible without him, Thank you TJ (tjhunt2)

post-4854-0-79418700-1388980088_thumb.jpg

post-4854-0-67565200-1388980132_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Very cool! Congratulations on your first archery kill. That's a nice buck too. Still looking for my first....good luck on your next hunt!

Great buck!! Congrats!!!

Congratulations on a nice buck! Gotta love the excitement of being up close and personal.

• Like 1

Congratulations Andy on your first archery buck. That truly is a trophy for sure. There is no doubt it's just the beginning of good things to come your way. It couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. Thanks for sharing and thanks for the kind words but you did all the work my friend and deserve all the credit. Now that is the way to start off the new year. :)

TJ

• Like 2

Fantastic!! Congrats on your Buck!!