Sign in to follow this  
Couestracker

Muzzle loader coyote - before & after

On the fifth and last day of my any fork-antlered deer hunt in New Mexico, I had sat a couple of hours from dawn, covering terrain leading to a couple of tanks. I had not seen any deer the entire hunt, and was about to pack up and move to another area when I heard the coyotes begin to howl over near the tanks. I was itching to try out my new muzzle loader, so I got my tally-ho call out of my pack and blew a short series. The dogs went silent and I got ready.

I caught movement pretty quick, one dog to my right and two to my left. I watched and followed the two with my eyes and barrel. I could see them as they appeared between trees about 80 yards out, trotting along single file while looking over my way. Leveling my muzzle loader between two trees in front of their path I watched the first dog go by, then when the second dog appeared, I fired. He went down in a pile! I ran over there to find he was trying to run, got about 20 yds but he bleed out fast. My first muzzle loader kill and first out of state coyote!

I was surprised to see how big he was and he had a beautiful coat. The shot hit him in the rear thigh and darned near blew it off. After taking a few pictures, I packed up and carried him to the truck-man was he heavy! He weighed 31 pounds back at camp and then I skinned him out completely. I've been waiting to harvest a nice coyote and now I have one!post-736-0-90989900-1389031482_thumb.jpg

I called my taxidermist after getting home from the hunt (no deer seen) and told him about the coyote. He said he'd done 1000 coyotes over the years and it would have to be an exceptional one to be worth mounting, and one from New Mexico probably isn't going to be it. I told him how nice it seemed to me, so he said to bring it over and he'd look at it. I took it to him frozen, so he said he'd call me the next day when he can take a look. When he called, I hadn't heard him be so excited before. He said that he'd never seen a coyote as nice as this from anywhere except from the northern states and it would be an honor to do a mount with it, but probably would have to be a shoulder mount due to the damage. I asked him if he could "fix" it for a full mount and he said he would try. Well, he was able to patch him up and the mount turned out incredible!

post-736-0-64559900-1389032910_thumb.jpg

post-736-0-05712400-1389032952_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Beautiful!

that's awesome!

James

nothing like .50cal justice served on a deer killer!!!