azhuntnut

Pay it forward - I will start

02 Tundra & SUV car covers -

I have a couple car covers - one was for 2002 Tundra...so mid-sized PU.  The other is for mid-sized SUV.  Bought them both from carcovers.com and used them for 1 summer.  I was going to donate them but thought I would see if anybody here could use them.  I'm in Sahuarita.  They're yours just for picking them up.

Hey guys, just wanted some help and advice from you guys. I was just recently bear hunting and was stopped by an az game warden. My hunting license happened to be expired a couple weeks (honest mistake, I instantly went and bought a new one). I mentioned that I shot a deer earlier and come to find out my license was expired 3 days before then so he gave me a criminal citation for it, not even the fact of what I was currently doing which was helping a friend bear hunt. My question is, is that can he cite me soley on my forthcoming confession? And also, what are the consequences of hunting on an expired license? A fine? I have to go to court. What sucks is im a completely honest guy who has been hunting since I was 10 years old(having bought license’s every year since then) and have no kind of criminal record whatsoever and I havent even been close to disobeying any azgfd rules. Simply just made I mistake that I need fixed. Any suggestions? 

• Wow! 1

8 hours ago, Scotty27 said:

Hey guys, just wanted some help and advice from you guys. I was just recently bear hunting and was stopped by an az game warden. My hunting license happened to be expired a couple weeks (honest mistake, I instantly went and bought a new one). I mentioned that I shot a deer earlier and come to find out my license was expired 3 days before then so he gave me a criminal citation for it, not even the fact of what I was currently doing which was helping a friend bear hunt. My question is, is that can he cite me soley on my forthcoming confession? And also, what are the consequences of hunting on an expired license? A fine? I have to go to court. What sucks is im a completely honest guy who has been hunting since I was 10 years old(having bought license’s every year since then) and have no kind of criminal record whatsoever and I havent even been close to disobeying any azgfd rules. Simply just made I mistake that I need fixed. Any suggestions? 

Most likely a fine and loss of hunting privileges for a few years. Possible restitution for the deer and confiscation of the meat, antlers etc.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Scotty27 said:

I would post in a different thread and then go buy a lifetime hunting license when you get your hunting privileges back. 

• Like 3

Weird place to post this but yeah you're screwed. No mercy from the commission so most likely gonna pay a good fine and will lose your license for 5 years. Don't waste your time going to the commission meeting because it's gonna be a 5 year revocation. Learn from your biggest mistake: DONT VOLUNTARILY TALK TO POLICE. Why in the world you would volunteer that info to the one guy who's sole purpose is to screw you?

• Like 4

This will be a very weak case for prosecution unless there is corroborating evidence to go along with the confession because without your voluntary admission the officer had no knowledge or evidence a "crime" was ever even committed.  Things like:

-did you also report the harvest on the azgfd big game survey.   

-social media with photos of you and the deer which are dated.  

You might want to find out if the officer recorded the conversation in which you made the voluntary admission.   If there is no corroborating evidence, no recording of your admission, and you don't testify against yourself in court, then there is no evidence for a court conviction.   You probably should consult and attorney to confirm some of this because there is potentially at lot at risk for you.

I have been hunting Arizona for more that 40 years.  In that time I know of 3 incidents where the wrong sex of big game animal was shot by mistake.  In all 3 cases the person who shot the animal called the azgfd operation game thief hot line and reported the themselves.   They then met a gfd officer and presented them with the animal.  In all three cases, the officer took the animal and their tag.  They were thanked for their honesty and told their hunting season was over for this year.   The meat was used to feed homeless people or wounded wildlife in recovery.    The third incident was actually this year.  Someone I know shot a doe thinking it was a spike.  She took the meat to gfd headquarters.  She was an emotional wreck.  Bawling and swearing she would never hunt again.  The officer actually tried to convince her took keep hunting.   He thanked her for her honesty and told her this incident would make her a better hunter in the future.  He then took her on a tour of their facility and showed her the bobcats they were going to feed with the meat she brought them!  An excellent example of community police relations.

Sorry you have to deal with this.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, 07Guardian said:

This will be a very weak case for prosecution unless there is corroborating evidence to go along with the confession because without your voluntary admission the officer had no knowledge or evidence a "crime" was ever even committed.  Things like:

-did you also report the harvest on the azgfd big game survey.   

-social media with photos of you and the deer which are dated.  

You might want to find out if the officer recorded the conversation in which you made the voluntary admission.   If there is no corroborating evidence, no recording of your admission, and you don't testify against yourself in court, then there is no evidence for a court conviction.   You probably should consult and attorney to confirm some of this because there is potentially at lot at risk for you.

I have been hunting Arizona for more that 40 years.  In that time I know of 3 incidents where the wrong sex of big game animal was shot by mistake.  In all 3 cases the person who shot the animal called the azgfd operation game thief hot line and reported the themselves.   They then met a gfd officer and presented them with the animal.  In all three cases, the officer took the animal and their tag.  They were thanked for their honesty and told their hunting season was over for this year.   The meat was used to feed homeless people or wounded wildlife in recovery.    The third incident was actually this year.  Someone I know shot a doe thinking it was a spike.  She took the meat to gfd headquarters.  She was an emotional wreck.  Bawling and swearing she would never hunt again.  The officer actually tried to convince her took keep hunting.   He thanked her for her honesty and told her this incident would make her a better hunter in the future.  He then took her on a tour of their facility and showed her the bobcats they were going to feed with the meat she brought them!  An excellent example of community police relations.

Sorry you have to deal with this.

I feel like this is how this situation should be handled. Of course we only hear one side but a genuine mistake with an honest response should be rewarded. 

• Like 2

So when you get a traffic citation you have to sign it to acknowledge you received it right. Was that the case here also and did your buddy you were bear hunting with witness it all? You admitted confessing so it is probably too late to backpeddle but like they say in Russia. Deny everything and make counter accusations. 

But then here it all is in black and white. Yup, honest mistake so just play it out and keep your integrity intact.

• Like 1

07guardian, would you mind telling us what happened to them with the commission? Very seldom does the commission show mercy on anyone even in cases like that.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

So when you get a traffic citation you have to sign it to acknowledge you received it right. Was that the case here also and did your buddy you were bear hunting with witness it all? You admitted confessing so it is probably too late to backpeddle but like they say in Russia. Deny everything and make counter accusations. 

But then here it all is in black and white. Yup, honest mistake so just play it out and keep your integrity intact.

Criminal citations can be sent in the mail and don't have to be signed if there is a summons. If it was given in person he had to sign it (not admitting guilt)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coues247 said:

Criminal citations can be sent in the mail and don't have to be signed if there is a summons. If it was given in person he had to sign it (not admitting guilt)

Tell me something I don't know. Thanks for the info though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PRDATR said:

Tell me something I don't know. Thanks for the info though.

Uhh. . .You literally asked him if he had to sign his criminal citation that he received in person? So do you know? 

• Like 3