Sign in to follow this  
G_E_E

My first buck with a bow

This is my first post on this site but have been a long time reader. I was waiting till I had a decent topic to post about and now I do since I got my first buck with my bow. I am fairly new to hunting so all the tips I have read here have been a huge help to me and harvesting a Coues, Javalina and now this Mulie. Thanks to everyone who have posted some type of hunting tip.

I shot this buck on the 2nd so I am done for the year when it comes to deer but will hopefully fill my two javalina tags and maybe a bear tag.

I was lucky enough to spot this deer while working, and couldn't wait to get off and prayed he was till in the same area. Luck was on my side because he, six does and the two spikes were there. On my first stalk I was able to get within 40 yards at about a 40 degree angle above him and get a shot off but missed high so he took off out of sight. Luckily they only ran about 75 yards and I was able to get back on him, I crawled to within 40 yards again and waited for a fawn to get out of the way for a clear shot. Finally after about 10 minutes the buck began to spook a little and walk off, I was able to stop him with a grunt sound I made and he provided a perfect broadside shot. I let the arrow fly and this time didn't miss but double lunged him. He ran out of sight and I waited about 15 minutes then went to the spot he was at when I shot him and couldn't find any blood or anything to track him out. I began to get worried that I would not find him and have another one of those stories about shooting but not finding a animal. After about 45 minutes of walking circles I finally found him on the side of a dry dirt tank and only 10 yards off a road, so needless to say getting him to a vehicle was a piece of cake. I have to thank my brother who drove down in a pickup truck so I could load him up since this deer would not have fit in the trunk of my Honda Civic.

post-12045-0-91151200-1389126874.jpg

post-12045-0-71288600-1389126940_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Great job. These post keep reminding me that it is possible.

Great buck congrats on a job well done.

Congratulations on a very nice buck, especially for your first with a bow!

A brother with a pick up truck is a blessing indeed! Nice deer!