Sign in to follow this  
Guest oneshot

To Sure... Rookie Mistake

Guest oneshot

I was still-hunting along a deer trail in steep terrain, and had a Buck come toward me above the trail I was on. He knew I was there and stopped in the only opening about 20yards away stareing at me. Not wanting to chance a shot with him aware and ready to bolt, I slowly reached for my camera for a close-up of a nice Buck because you know they "never" turn their back to danger...

As I took his photo he TURNED HIS BACK TO ME!!! offering a shot if I didnt have the CAMERA up and ready... he turned back to face me as I stood there and bolted up-slope...

Thankfully not one of the Bucks I've been hunting, but I would have shot him anyway IF I was hunting instead of playing photog... hehehee

post-1378-0-24716500-1389361197_thumb.jpg

Never fails but at least you got to shoot him with something. Thanks for sharing. :)

TJ

• Like 1

oneshot, thanks for sharing that and I was hoping you can clarify something please -

with the deer stopped at 20 yards and focused on you, are you saying you don't want to chance him jumping the string on release or just not allowing you to draw back period having him bolt while you get ready?

Thanks

That's a memorable moment for sure! Thanks for sharing that.

Tough to tell...but looks like a dang good buck...good luck and enjoy the greatest month of the year.. :)

There are many reasons for not shooting a buck that's staring at you... I have always heard that when they're staring at you and tensing up with adrenaline, the meat tastes bad. I have no actual proof of that but an old timer used to tell us kids that little gem every year.

oneshot, thanks for sharing that and I was hoping you can clarify something please -

with the deer stopped at 20 yards and focused on you, are you saying you don't want to chance him jumping the string on release or just not allowing you to draw back period having him bolt while you get ready?

Thanks

A little of both, with a recurve you dont hang-out at full draw and with a Coues focused on you making that move and expecting a good result is futile..

My mistake as I did read weeks ago that you shoot recurve, definitely changes things. The highlighted statement above in red is what I thought you meant by it if you were shooting compound.

I was just thinking with a ~300 fps compound and a deer at 20 yards, it is a shot most folks would take. I'm not saying a buck won't jump the string at 20 yards, and actually I'm not saying anything in particular just wanted to hear from the experienced.

I'm still just a young buck in these woods so I appreciate the response and OP.

Oh boy! What a perfect time to draw. Better luck next time! Though I love the photo and looks like a great buck. He'll be back!

Hahahaha!! It's like they know....... :-)

I Shot a real nice buck while he was staring at me and watched me draw. It honestly seems like when they know something is there that they don't get surprised by the movement and are just trying to figure out what you are... But when they don't notice you and you make a sudden movement, it seems to scare them more, in my experience. But regardless, when a buck is in front of me, the only thing I am thinking about is getting a shot with my bow. I will take pictures when he is on the ground. :)

Take the pictures when there is no air left in them! I've made the same mistake as you many times and regret every one of those pictures.