Sign in to follow this  
Mesabulls

Havalon knives for elk

Yup, slick as a hot knife through butter. Unless I lose it, my havalon will be the last knife I ever buy.

• Like 4

I have used them on five elk in the last two years and love them. I snap a blade once in awhile but that's probably user error. I don't even carry my gerbers any more.

I know sounds stupid but wear eye protection if you can whilst using them. I had a blade snap on me last year and wizzed past my face right by my eye. Great knife though.

In the last year or so Havalon came out with a slightly larger and thicker bladed knife called the Baracuta Blaze Hunter's knife. So if you like the Havalons, but want something with a little more strength and size, this might be the one for you.

I carry that new knife plus the regular Havalon piranta and some of the fish filet havalons in the CouesWhitetail.com store.

here is the link to the Havalon Baracuta blaze

http://store.coueswhitetail.com/havalon-baracuta-blaze/

I have done several elk with them and they work great. Never tried sharpening the blades, but at $5.95 for 12, I haven't been too worried about it. Two blades do an elk, with a third if you cape the skull.

Yup, great knife for elk. Just be careful, they are scary sharp!

I love mine and used it on the elk pictured. Only complaint, and it is minor, is the blades snap pretty easy. Outdoor Edge just came out with a similar knife that seems a bit more sturdy. Got one for Christmas and can't wait to try it in the field.

I got schooled by Big Browns on my December Coues... I could not believe how easy and quick it was for him to skin out and quarter 3/4ths of my deer while I struggled with my "sharpened" regular knife. Ridiculously sharp and easy to use and as long as you don't torque the blades too much they hold up real well. azslim, how are you resharpening them??? What angle and stone do you use?

that's an amazingly useful tip! I'm gonna try it after I use my first blade this weekend :blink: