Sign in to follow this  
apache12

Stalk in open country? How?

There are already a lot of good suggestions, But here are the main things I pay attention to or try to do:

1. Practice shooting all the time so you can feel comfortable with some of the 'longer' shot. And use a good angle compensating Range finder and I always attach it to my bino strap with a home made Range Snap ( after all the work it was for me to make it I wish I would have just bought one.

2. I used to take my shoes off to close the last 120 yards but now I made some home made sneaky feet out of Vehicle Carpeting, or any real thin carpeting.

3. Always try your best to pay attention to the wind, but as you know in AZ it switches so often the most important thing I try is to stay out of sight. Deer pick up movement and anything that breaks the skyline with no problems. I always try to move around the back side if it will provide a shot.

4. When I spot a buck I always consider what I think he is going to do, for how long and how long it will take for me to make it to him. And always take as much time to pick everything apart with your binos so you know the exact tree it is near or under and the path you are going to take because it always looks so much different when you get over there and some times is disorienting. If i watch a buck be down I will take a half hour figuring out the whole hill and plan my approach.

5. Take your time! The majority of the time that buck will be in the same area for at least an hour. Just determine if he seems like he is on the move, feeding slowly or getting ready to bed. Or if possible just watch him until he beds and plan from there. That is what I try most often.

Hope some of this will help you. Oh and it took me about 25 trys to get my first buck, but since then I have gotten a little better at planning my route and taking my time. But Deer are really tough either way.