Sign in to follow this  
djchristensen

20c Javelina Help

This is my first post here but am pretty active over on another Site.

I have been skunked in both Mulies and Javelina in 20c this entire season. I see a lot of tracks for some big mulies, but not so much Javelina. I mostly hunt the north side of Hwy 89 just outside of Congress AZ along the Date Creek Road on the Ox Ranch. This is a last ditch effort to ask if anyone else has seen Javelina along this route and how far in. Any help would be great, I took a 7 mile hike and tons of prickly pear, but no droppings or tracks of the piggies. The water tanks are too high to drink from and there is little to no standing water. I know folks do not want to give up their spots, but any help would be appreciated.

I would like to thank you all for the PM's with some good info. Has anyone here hunted or seen Javelina just north of Congress along 89? The map link below shows the area that I have permission to hunt, and the area in question is around the East side of the road next to Billingsley Resevoir #2. Just no signs, no droppings nor standing water, but plenty of prickly pear cactus and cattle water tanks.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=34.183122,-112.82567&daddr=Date+Creek+Rd&hl=en&sll=34.23877,-112.850361&sspn=0.045696,0.055189&geocode=FdKXCQIdumpG-Q%3BFahTCgIdswFG-Q&t=h&mra=dme&mrsp=1&sz=14&z=14

I hunt this unit every year during the archery, jr, and rifle hunt and kill pigs most of the time. All I can say is go north on the dirt road and hunt the base of the weavers to the east or the greybacks to the west. Some other areas that are real good if you have an atv is north east of the stanton octave road. all the areas near the hassayampa river are loaded with pigs!!! If you really want to hunt the date creek mtns then go west about 4-5 miles and hunt the breaks going to date creek. you can get in there from the highway heading west from congress. Get up high and glass glass glass. good luck!!!

This is my first post here but am pretty active over on another Site.

I have been skunked in both Mulies and Javelina in 20c this entire season. I see a lot of tracks for some big mulies, but not so much Javelina. I mostly hunt the north side of Hwy 89 just outside of Congress AZ along the Date Creek Road on the Ox Ranch. This is a last ditch effort to ask if anyone else has seen Javelina along this route and how far in. Any help would be great, I took a 7 mile hike and tons of prickly pear, but no droppings or tracks of the piggies. The water tanks are too high to drink from and there is little to no standing water. I know folks do not want to give up their spots, but any help would be appreciated.

the areas you listed are loaded with pigs walking 7 miles you might be walking right by them,slow down your walking and glass,glass and glass some more.

Thank you for the info guys, I am going to try the area by the dairy on the south side of the 89. If I don't get anythign there, Ill head back up north and hunt the Ox ranch again. Which reminds me that I have to send an email to the owners of the Ox ranch and thank them for the permission to hunt on their land.

sneaky little critters - when I'm hunting the high ground - I spot them in the bottom of gullies and in the washes .

when I'm hunting the gullies/ washes - I always spot them up on the high hillsides - go figure !

• Like 1

Its great to see everyone on this site always helping out. After getting a 20c tag by accident (signed up for the wrong hunt) these tips are helpful for me too ! I'll out there this weekend too.

easiest way to see where they are traveling is to walk the washes and look for tracks

then look for the trails crossing the washes

then follow the trail up a hillside get on top and glass