Sign in to follow this  
DesertBull

NM Barbary Sheep

Anyone draw a tag for the Feb hunt?

I'll be headed over to unit 30. Really fun hunt if you like to glass...all day...days on end.

Hopefully third time is the charm.

Ive put in a couple times but have yet to get a tag. I forgot about it and missed the deadline this year. Good luck db.

Good luck Doug! Hopefully you'll have success this time. Public land NM Barbary hunting is tough but addicting. I was lucky enough this weekend to take my 3rd public land sheep. Could have sworn it was a Ram, but it turned out to be a big 20 inch old Ewe. You would think after 4 years of hunting these critters I could judge them, guess not. haha Was a fun 3 mile pack out trip in the dark, so definitely rewarding.

Good luck again! Hope to be hearing a success story.

100_1518_zps239641b8.jpg[/url]

Travis

two sheep were standing on top of a huge rock at the top of a steep cliff. I knocked one of them off and it fell 25-30 feet off the rock and landed on its back. Kicked a few times then went limp.

Took me about 90 minutes to climb up to it. Found blood and hair everywhere but did not see the sheep where it landed.

I noticed that there was some smeared blood in the cracks between two huge boulders and them some more heading down a very steep chute. Saw some movement down the chute about 50 yards and thought somehow it was still alive. Put the binocs on it and saw a HUGE bobcat had it by the back of the neck dragging it down the chute. Not a lie, I swear. I thought at first it was a lion kitten but then realized it was a bobcat.

Against better judgement, I went down to get it, hoping I could make it back up. No cell service at all for at least 40 miles from this spot so calling for help is not an option. I was by myself.

Made it down, tied off the sheep (mid sized ewe) and started taking off the shoulders and backstrap. Got those bagged up and flipped it over to get the hind quarters. When I turn it over, the havalon knife caught the rope and cut it instantly and the horns and the rest of the meat rolled down the chute and off a huge cliff into oblivion.

Hand over hand back up the chute (not fun) then a steep, sliding decent back to the valley.

how much does it cost for NM non res license an barbary sheep tag?? and that is one heck of a story!!!!! sounds like a made up story when your drunk lol

two sheep were standing on top of a huge rock at the top of a steep cliff. I knocked one of them off and it fell 25-30 feet off the rock and landed on its back. Kicked a few times then went limp.

Took me about 90 minutes to climb up to it. Found blood and hair everywhere but did not see the sheep where it landed.

I noticed that there was some smeared blood in the cracks between two huge boulders and them some more heading down a very steep chute. Saw some movement down the chute about 50 yards and thought somehow it was still alive. Put the binocs on it and saw a HUGE bobcat had it by the back of the neck dragging it down the chute. Not a lie, I swear. I thought at first it was a lion kitten but then realized it was a bobcat.

Against better judgement, I went down to get it, hoping I could make it back up. No cell service at all for at least 40 miles from this spot so calling for help is not an option. I was by myself.

Made it down, tied off the sheep (mid sized ewe) and started taking off the shoulders and backstrap. Got those bagged up and flipped it over to get the hind quarters. When I turn it over, the havalon knife caught the rope and cut it instantly and the horns and the rest of the meat rolled down the chute and off a huge cliff into oblivion.

Hand over hand back up the chute (not fun) then a steep, sliding decent back to the valley.

holly molly.... i was afraid when I read the Havalon...you cut yourself....that is crazy hunt. At least you did not get hurt (well too hurt).

Barbary sheep hunting in that unit is brutal! Definitely gives you the highs and lows of a true sheep hunt. From the weather and remoteness, to the checkerboard private land and rugged terrain. Plus these aoudad blend in so well to their surroundings.

Congrats on your killing one. Crazy turn of events for sure. Sorry to hear about you cutting the rope holding your meat in place. Hope the pack out wasn't too far.