Sign in to follow this  
pwrguy

Mountain Lion Calling

I have decided to make an effort this year to eliminate some predators and have some fun doing it. My questions is have any of you had success calling in mountain lions and what sounds have you used. Also, tactics for lion would be appreciated. I have a Foxpro Shockwave and the standard sounds that come with it. Thanks.

• Like 1

Cirrce Javalina call blown like a fawn bleet has worked twice for me... Never had any luck with an electronic call for lions.

I have called in one and shot one, sine then I haven't duplicated that luck. I used a jackrabbit mouth call and was in a river bed with a lot of large trees. The lion I shot was young which probably had something to do with it coming into the call. I will also say I was a much better caller back then and had quite a bit of luck on yotes. I was calling a lot more than I do these days.

I'd like to try that lost beef call...bet it works great.

I was probably about 8 years old when my dad started teaching me to call. 45 years later, I'm taking a renewed interest in calling and I'm using the same hand me down call. It's a distressed rabbit. It worked, called in lions, bobcat, coyote, various birds and even deer. The deer let their curiosity get the best of them. Another hunter convinced me to carry a squeaky toy, too. I've seen predators stop dead in their tracks at the sound of a Hello Kitty chew toy.

• Like 3

We were hunting bear a year ago or so and called in a lion that my buddy shot at 7 yds. He was using an electronic call and it was at about the 35 minute mark that it came in. The sound was a elk calf in distress call that worked.

Interesting. I have called all my lion in while hunting for bear too!

Years ago I glasssed up some nervous does that had to be a mile away. I kept watching them and picked up a cat stalking them. He blew the stalk and everything left the country and he was just standing there with egg on his face. So I said, what the heck and made a horrid varmit call with nothing more then my god givin singing talent. I'd have been eliminated in the first round of American Idol. But that cat beelined for me. In and out of canyons. Drop into one, come back out....so on and so forth. But an absolute straight line. Whenhe got into range it took me a while to pick him up. By the time I did, he had moved again towards me. Now he's under the side of the canyon I'm on. This all happened in about 2hrs before dark. Well, once I lost sight of him from being underneath me, it started to get real spooky, cause now he has the advantage. But, I kept singing figuring he'd eventually come right to me. Right before it was getting to dark to see, I stood up and yelled a "hey" and then a few minutes later agin, "hey". And I caught him out of the corner of my eye no more than 40 yds in the tall grass in front of me and he jetted. Moral of the story, uh yeah, they'll come in....especially if they blew a stalk and are hungry. And I believe it wouldn't have mattered what kinda call I used. Maybe I'll try a duck call next time.;-)

Thanks for the responses. The lost beef and elk calf sound like great idea's. I'm already doing rabbit sounds for other predators, who know's maybe I will get lucky.

Years ago I glasssed up some nervous does that had to be a mile away. I kept watching them and picked up a cat stalking them. He blew the stalk and everything left the country and he was just standing there with egg on his face. So I said, what the heck and made a horrid varmit call with nothing more then my god givin singing talent. I'd have been eliminated in the first round of American Idol. But that cat beelined for me. In and out of canyons. Drop into one, come back out....so on and so forth. But an absolute straight line. Whenhe got into range it took me a while to pick him up. By the time I did, he had moved again towards me. Now he's under the side of the canyon I'm on. This all happened in about 2hrs before dark. Well, once I lost sight of him from being underneath me, it started to get real spooky, cause now he has the advantage. But, I kept singing figuring he'd eventually come right to me. Right before it was getting to dark to see, I stood up and yelled a "hey" and then a few minutes later agin, "hey". And I caught him out of the corner of my eye no more than 40 yds in the tall grass in front of me and he jetted. Moral of the story, uh yeah, they'll come in....especially if they blew a stalk and are hungry. And I believe it wouldn't have mattered what kinda call I used. Maybe I'll try a duck call next time.;-)

Sounds like a uncle si story but pretty interesting n I have had friends call them in with doe bleet mouth call.

I have decided to make an effort this year to eliminate some predators and have some fun doing it. My questions is have any of you had success calling in mountain lions and what sounds have you used. Also, tactics for lion would be appreciated. I have a Foxpro Shockwave and the standard sounds that come with it. Thanks.

i've been having some similar thoughts. I noticed my fav muley area has become a kennel. And the yotes in my whitely spot are monsters. I think they have a little dog in the gene pool up there.

May have to get out there and put the smack down on some of those boys.

Baby crying? anyone tried it?

I am actually quite serious guys, a buddy once told me to be prepared to throw anything and everything at them to get at their curiosty. A recording of a baby crying was downloaded into a caller he bought. Thought I'd ask if anyone had tried it lol! Take care