Coues79

Nice 100" buck

Hope this works. Here goes.

After a few days of hard hunting, I was fortunate enough to run onto this buck. He was holding up in some pretty nasty stuff. I had taken off up a finger to a real nice knob that overlooks a whole lot of good country. I sat down and glassed for about 30-45 minutes and didn't glass anything up. This was day 3 of the two weekend hunt. This had pretty much been the way things had been going for the whole hunt. Usually, out of three days worth of hard hunting and glassing, I usually could pick up 12-15 bucks, along with quite a few does. This year it wasn't that way. It just seemed like we weren't seeing the deer that we usually find.

Anyways, after glassing and millin' around a little bit on this knob, I decided to go back down a different finger that appeared to be not to bad of a walk. After I started down about 400 yards, I was rudely awaken to thick manzanita patches with cat claw and shin daggers abundant every where. It was hard just to pick my way through this nasty stuff. After about 5 minutes of trying to be quiet, I just said the heck with it and just tried to get out of this crap. I wasn't being quiet whatsoever. All of the sudden, out of a cut that was about 20 yards or so off to my left, maybe about 15-20 feet deep, I could here something take off. I readied myself to where the noise was coming from and up the other side of this cut, came this buck. He appeared at about 50 yards facing the other way. At the top, he stopped and looked back to see what I was. Well, after seeing what he was, I decided "yeah, for a Sunday buck, I think he'll definitely do." I pulled the trigger and the hunt was over. I walked up to him and was pretty stoked. He is the biggest coues I've taken and I really like the litte sticker on his left main beam. It forms a little cup in the beam. It's kinda hard to notice in the pictures, but nonetheless, I'm happy with him. Loads and Loads of fat on this guy. A lot of good feed out there this year. I wish he would have been in a little more favorable place for dragging him back to the quad, but I won't complain too much. He grosses barely over 100 inches. He has a 16 1/2 inch outside spread.

The next weekend I was able to be out with my brother who took a 105" buck. He's a beautiful 3 point with some killer brow tines, and a super tall rack. I don't have pictures of it but can tell you he's a goodun.

Hope you enjoy the pics.

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q164/je...a/JeffDeer2.jpg

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q164/jeff14una/Deer.jpg

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q164/je...ehindground.jpg

Good job. Were you hunting 31 again? I had horrible luck in 31 this year.

That's a dandy buck. Congrats and thanks for sharing your hunt and story.

Nice buck. Congrats and thanks for sharing your story and pictures with us.

Guest Ernesto C

Congratulations on a superb buck very nice!! Hey why did you said it is your biggest buck?? Maybe I'm confuse.......din't you kill a 130 monster last year? or it was some one else?

Ernesto C

No that was my brother. I wish I had the rights to the buck he took. I was pretty excited to take this one and was hoping it would be the biggest in the family taken this year. It was for about 5 days. Then my other brother had to go and take one bigger. Oh well.

Thanks for everyone replying. I'm happy with him.

Congratulations on a superb buck very nice!! Hey why did you said it is your biggest buck?? Maybe I'm confuse.......din't you kill a 130 monster last year? or it was some one else?

Ernesto C

Congratulations!!!! He is a dandy buck indeed. Thanks for letting us enjoy him with you.

Travis Roberts

Tucson