Sign in to follow this  
Couestracker

1st ever archery success!

I went down to Mexico with my friend Mike to help another guy (Bill) hunt coues and to pick up Mikes deer cape and antlers from his Jan 1st hunt. I took my bow with me hoping Id get a chance to hunt javelina. Sunday night Bill went to another ranch to hunt for a few days, so on Monday, Mike, one of the ranch cowboys (Guiermo) and I went out to glass for javelina. We spotted a herd on a distant hillside. After closing the ½ mile gap, I stalked up to one at 20 yds. It started to run, but I woofed and it stopped for the shot. It ran 20 yds and expired. She was a 41 lb sow....my first archery kill!

post-736-0-35832700-1390498176_thumb.jpg

We spent more time glassing, saw lots of coues and one day saw 3 herds of javelina from one spot. One herd was seen running out of a cave! Then I glassed up a guy in camo carrying a backpack and water jugs going up and over a mountain. I don't think he was training for the Olympics. Here's some other interesting things we saw.

We found this pile of rocks, Mike thinks it's a burial mound.

post-736-0-21915300-1390496186_thumb.jpg

We also saw this cool saguaro cactus.

post-736-0-02075900-1390496326_thumb.jpg

My last sunset until I return to hunt coues this fall.

post-736-0-61651800-1390496469_thumb.jpg

Nice javelina! What does it cost to hunt a pig south of the border?

Nice javelina! What does it cost to hunt a pig south of the border?

Well, last year after I got my buck he charged me $150. He said that the costs when up for the permits (to get trophies across). He charged $400 this year, since it was my first archery kill I was ok with it, but would not do it again. Dan Lee at Artist's Touch Taxidermy is going to do a half-life sized mount for me.

Nice write up and photos as usual Tom!

Congratulations on your first Bow Kill!

More fun with the Bow?

Carl

Nice write up and photos as usual Tom!

Congratulations on your first Bow Kill!

More fun with the Bow?

Carl

Thanks Carl! Yes, it was more fun with the bow, the stalk - in close, seeing it happen a lot slower, as compared to blasting it with a firearm, was neat! That Rage Broadhead did the job, hit it just behind the shoulder, 2 inch entry and a full passthru. I couldn't find the arrow, looked hard for about 1/2 hour. That was only the second time I had a chance to shoot my bow at a javelina, out of about 5 times hunting with it. I'm hooked for sure. Going out again this weekend with it for a javelina hunt in unit 29.

Right on!! Congrats!! I enjoyed the story and pics!! Thanks for sharing your adventure!!