Sign in to follow this  
bonecollector777

First bobcat with the wife

I have been trying to get my wife of 1 month to come out calling with me one morning but she seems to always find a way out of it. So this weekend I made a trip up to my parents house in Heber and I brought along my 22-250 like I always do. Nearly every time I bring it up my mom or my wife always ask why I always wanna keep it close by and I tell them you just never know what you might see so I like to be prepared. So this morning we were gonna get up and go calling but when we woke up she said she was too tired and it was too cold outside, so we went back to sleep. My parents live out towards Legacy Lodge about 8 miles out of Heber so once we finally woke up and were getting ready to go into Heber for the day I once again told my wife to put my gun in the car just in case. Well as luck would have it about 2 miles from the house I'm driving and look over and there is the fattest bobcat I have ever seen just crouched on a log looking at the car. So I slammed on my brakes and backed up and he was still sitting there 50 yards away! So I grabbed my gun and loaded one in and slowly walked around the car and got a tree between the cat and myself I took a couple steps off the road and peeked around the tree and there he was still crouched so I got the cross hairs on him and rolled him off the log. The funny part was my wife sitting in the car never even saw the thing sitting out there. She said I just looked like some crazy guy sneaking through the trees. He was so old both of his top canine teeth were completely gone. His head is HUGE. I have never seen anything like it. He weighed in at 23 pounds and has some of the thickest fur I have seen. Great color and all around great cat. I have sold all the cats I killed the last 2 years with prices so high but hearing that prices are pretty down this year I'm gonna mount him. I have killed probably 30 bobcats including trapping over the past 3 years and always wanted to mount one so I figure it will be tough to find another like him so I'll bite the bullet and pay to get him mounted. And my wife after was so excited about the whole thing I think she was going to make me get it mounted anyway. Even after telling her I could probably sell it for 700 bucks. But anyway here are some pics. You can see how close the car was from where he was sitting. And remember always be prepared!20140124_154909_zpsec0f7fb9.jpg20140124_154934_zps9e99d6d4.jpg20140124_155010_zpsc1b61461.jpg

• Like 7

That is a big bobcat. It'll make an awesome mount. Congratulations.

Sweet! Never know what might be crouching on a log in your neck of the woods, possibly a blonde bear,too! Congratulations on scoring the cat and your wife. Marriage can be a wonderful partnership.

I see cat tracks all the time, seen a few, and have yet to kill one. Congratulations on a beautiful cat.

TJ

Awesome!

I got lucky on this guy, I shot him with a 50g Hornady sst from about fifty yards right through the shoulder and it just poked a .22 size hole in both sides. I have shot some before with that same bullet and there wasn't much cat left when it was all said and done. Thankfully this one just tipped right over and didn't move. The taxidermist was happy about not having to deal with any of that. That log he is lying on in the first pic is where he was sitting and the side you can see is actually the side the bullet came out on.

Beautiful cat! I've still never killed one. I had one jump into a makeshift ground blind I was calling from and I couldn't get him killed. It's a jinx. I would love to get one mounted, and if I do I hope he looks like that one! Great job!