Sign in to follow this  
NateGeisler

knocked out a monster with an arrow

It started with a long stalk on some 4 by 4s pushing does, I ended up loosing those deer and heading back to my vantage point. I was caught off guard by a grunting buck 40 yards away and pushed him out of range. I kept trying to get a head of this deer and with help from my brother who cut him off and pushed him back my way I was able to let one fly at 20yards. I hit him in the fore head and he dropped like a sack of potatoes. I got 3 feet from him and he jumped up and scared the crap out of me. I thought he was taken a dirt nap for sure but the arrow only had hair on it, not a single drop of blood. Has anyone ever encountered this?

Why would you shoot him in the head? Just asking, not saying that was bad judgement, just wondering.

• Like 1

Welcome to the site. You definitely came to the right place to learn about shot placement from some of the best.

TJ

• Like 1

That would have been spooky, like a coming up to a "Walking Dead" zombie deer! I think you were probably aiming right into the chest and misjudged the distance, with the deer being closer than you realized, thus sending your arrow higher than anticipated, hitting the deer in the head. Unlucky.

• Like 1

He was coming toward me and It was the only shot he gave me for over an hour of stalking him. I was aimed right at his chest and he took a hop toward me. I only have a 30 yard pin so I just guessed the 20. I think I may have underestimated it and shot high. but when it hit I still thought it was vital, because he dropped like a rock.

• Like 2

That will be a story to share! I hit one with a car at low speed and did the same thing, woke up when I laid a hand on his antler, looked like I was riverdancing!

• Like 3

I double lunged my bull at 6o yards and missed high on a whitey at 10 yards. Buck was head down and oblivious to my existance but running up hill right at me. My deer FEVER butt dropped the 20 on his chest and zipped it over his back. It happens, most won't admit it. I am just thankful for the opportunity, Lord knows it was one of the coolest things I have experienced in the field. Welcome to the site

• Like 2

A Bucks reaction time is crazy fast! That close, he could have dropped his head as soon as he heard the string. No blood, he is fine, kill him next year. He will be bigger.

• Like 3