Sign in to follow this  
hunter74

warning on axis arrows

just to let you guys know the problem I am having with axis arrows with the hidden insert technology , I shoot the swacker broad heads and on impact the side pressure is breaking the broad head off at the threads and splitting the front of the arrows I am now going the victory VAP's to eliminate this issue. I don't want to see someone loose an animal due to an issue as I have had. just as a note I am having no more issue since changing arrows and now have the true kinetic energy back.

I am shooting the same arrows but Ulmer Edge 100's.... no problems... love the combo.

I have a 2014 bow tech rpm 360 on order. I was planing on using the axis with swackers.. my shop sugjested I not use the vaps.

I am glad some of you are not having any issues but I found out the hard way on a big buck and started making calls to figure the problem out and then I confirmed it in my target which made me ditch the axis arrows and back to victory. just hope no one else has the same issues as I did. I was shooting the light speed 400's and switched to the axis 340's to up my kinetic energy and shot 5 animals and recovered them all but the first half inch of the arrows were always broke off and no pass threw's then this month I shot a big 4 point muley and watched him for an hour in my glass and could see the hole behind the shoulder long story short I went and recovered my arrow and it only had blood on about 8 inches and again missing the first half inch hunted that buck for the next week and he was still pushing does and I could never get in on him that is when I started my phone calls to rick Forrest and Easton and the story was the same from both about the HIT having issues with side pressure and breaking the broad heads off at the threads.

Hunter74, they make a collar for arrows with the hit system in them to stop that from happening. I got some for my FMJ 340 because of the same reason, that cured the problem. You could foot your arrows as well by leaving them an inch longer and sleeving the outside with a shaft 1 inch long that just fits over the outer diameter of your arrow. Use an epoxy to glue it into place. I tried to foot my arrows but I didn't like it, then I found the collars and they work great. They don't weigh anything either so you wont have to re-sight in like you would with footing.

Hope this helps

GBA

Just shoot VAP's and not worry about the other BS. There is enough to worry about in bowhunting, Do not add any more variables. Get the Stainless outserts for the VAPs and get some serious weight forward. Love mine! Fly like guided missiles!!

Working at a pro shop I've never heard of that issue with Axis. I've shot mine at 1/2" plywood and not broken the arrow. However the problem with Vaps are all the pieces together have tolerances and when you add up the variables in tolerances it's way worse than any cheap arrow. I broke two ribs and blew out a shoulder on my javi with my Axis 400. You jumped to a 340 for added weight but if you should be in a 400 spine you aren't shooting the right arrow spine anyways

• Like 1

I shot a bull elk in September with a 340 Axis. Clean pass through and the arrow was unscathed.