It is interesting to read the comments on articles like that and get some perspectives of non-hunters.

This is just another reason that all the military reservations and national parks should be opened to hunters!

This is just another reason that all the military reservations and national parks should be opened to hunters!

Fort Huachuca is open to hunting.

Yes I know, but only to military personel. And if I remember correctly they give out very few permits and even then there are leftovers. If they opened it to the public and just required some sort of safety class like they do for a portion of the goldwater range they could increase hunter opportunity and save tax payers money from having to do stupid stuff like this.

Yes I know, but only to military personel. And if I remember correctly they give out very few permits and even then there are leftovers. If they opened it to the public and just required some sort of safety class like they do for a portion of the goldwater range they could increase hunter opportunity and save tax payers money from having to do stupid stuff like this.

You don't remember correctly. Permits are not limited only to military personnel but include active and retired military personnel (worldwide), their spouse, and legal dependents may also apply. All full-time civil service AND Non-appropriated fund employess of Fort Huachuca, their spouse and legal dependents may apply. Any person who is enrolled in the AGFD CHAMP program may apply. I do recall tags left over from the first draw but never from the the first come first serve draw. The cost associated with this "slaughter" is nothing compared to the cost of a single aircraft or the life of a individual.

I guess this was a good oportunity for them to get some more meat for the hungry wolves! As they stated that the mest went to the needy-didn't say humans!

Chief- thank you for clarifying my point.

"Permits are not limited only to military personnel but include active and retired military personnel (worldwide), their spouse, and legal dependents may also apply. All full-time civil service AND Non-appropriated fund employess of Fort Huachuca, their spouse and legal dependents may apply. Any person who is enrolled in the AGFD CHAMP program may apply."

So it is not open to the public!

"I do recall tags left over from the first draw but never from the the first come first serve draw."

So there is not enough demand from the people who are eligible to fill the quota of tags in the draw!

I guess I just don't understand what you are saying. There are just a limited number of permits for the hunting areas on the fort, just like there are for the game management areas off the fort. They do on occassion have permits left over after the first draw, just like areas do off the fort. They get issued on a first come first serve basis to those who are eligible to hunt the fort, to my knowledge all the tags are issued. Are you suggesting that those who are not eligible to hunt the fort are more proficient hunters than those that do, therefor they should be issued tags? Are you also suggesting that they have an unlimited number of tags for the fort? Additionally are you also suggesting that if the fort was open to the "general public" that the 29 deer would not have had to been killed? I also think that some of those people who you don't consider to be the general public would take exception. A soldiers son who is attending the UofA, ASU or NAU is surely considered in the general public - I think, likewise a retired soldier or his spouse, would you not consider them in the general public? How about those in the CHAMP Program? Not trying to be argumentative here, just trying to understand?

P.S. I don't hunt the fort

I don't have a problem with someone in the military being allowed this benefit, a very small price to pay for what they do for all of us. If those deer were endangering human life they were probably not going to wait for hunters to eliminate them or for them to be captured a sad loss, but necessary.

Guest Ernesto C
Chief- thank you for clarifying my point.

"Permits are not limited only to military personnel but include active and retired military personnel (worldwide), their spouse, and legal dependents may also apply. All full-time civil service AND Non-appropriated fund employess of Fort Huachuca, their spouse and legal dependents may apply. Any person who is enrolled in the AGFD CHAMP program may apply."

So it is not open to the public!

"I do recall tags left over from the first draw but never from the the first come first serve draw."

So there is not enough demand from the people who are eligible to fill the quota of tags in the draw!

missedagain nothing against you my friend, but I had to modify your post. God bless you.

Ernesto C

Ernesto- sorry if that offended you

Chief- nevermind its not worth argueing over I don't even care about the deer, those are just two things that bother me about our culture. One, any time I see land owned by the gov. (the people) that is not open to the hunting public, and two the attitude that when nature gets in the way, bulldoze it, pave it, and forget about it.

Ernesto- sorry if that offended you

Chief- nevermind its not worth argueing over I don't even care about the deer, those are just two things that bother me about our culture. One, any time I see land owned by the gov. (the people) that is not open to the hunting public, and two the attitude that when nature gets in the way, bulldoze it, pave it, and forget about it.

WEll then Missedagain you do care about the DEER. Stand up and give them both barrels man.

I sure am glad Those deer were US citizens, or wildlife (deer are peole too you know) <_<

So the AZGFD, and US military were free to take em out for safety reason.

Just think, If the deer came up from south of the border, they would likely have been given amnesty and the military would have been forced to relocate the base by PETA internationale and bleeding heart liberals in the UN. :blink:

Purely for comedic value, but who knows... stranger things have happened. :ph34r: :o