Sign in to follow this  
GlockMan

Who Has Shot A Ruger American .22LR

Hey I wanted opinions on a Ruger American .22LR. I live in RI and the only way to hunt coyote and lynx is with a .22 mag or LR... I wanted your opinions because I am looking for something accurate up to 100 yards and I love bolt actions. I am also looking at a Ruger 10\22 and Remington 597 for get some coyotes off the farm I hunt at. ANY ADVISE WOULD BE GREAT

a friend has told me that he loves his lr American. spot on out to yards, and very smooth.

• Like 1

I believe its centerfires only up to 22 mag. But AZSLIM brings up a good point , i'll look into it . Who makes the best 17 WSM for the buck and super accurate? I appreciate the help AZSLIM

I'm from RI but moved to AZ when I went and completed my Masters @ ASU... I love AZ and truly miss it!!! Wish I could carry concealed, or in my truck without ending up in the slammer for exercising my second amendment. I truly hate these Liberal states!!! Can't open or concealed carry and a 8 day wait on all guns!!! AZ is the land of the free

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure the savage bmag is the only 17wsm at the moment. Its hit and miss review wise. Some say it shoots lights out, others say it shoots minute of barn. Most agree it is ugly.

• Like 2

I called the RI Department of Environmental Management and it's 22 LR or Mag for coyotes, fox, lynx, squirrel, raccoon, etc... So I'm still looking at a bolt action 22 and ideas? I'm still looking at the Ruger American .22 LR

Don't over look the CZ. I have the CZ 455 in a 22 WMR and it shoots lights out at 100 yards. I was in your same boat looking for a good rifle and settled on the CZ after looking at Rugers, Savages, and others. Only problem I think with the CZ is the scope mount, if you go with the add on picatiny rail then it's no problem. Highly recommend the rail for a extra $35, well worth it. Very very accurate and well built rifles. My 2 cents

• Like 1

I have had a Ruger 10/22 for almost 40 years. For most of those years, it has lived in my pickup. With a good 4X or compact 2-7X scope, it will shoot minute of coyote out to 100 yards. However, if you are going to get a lot of 100 yard shots, a Ruger 77/22 in .22 Magnum would be a better choice. I did a LOT of calling back in the 1970s and used a Savage/Anschutz bolt action in .22 Magnum almost exclusively to very good effect.

I personally like the Marlin 25MN in 22mag... I think it is called something different now- but that rifle can flat-out shoot!!! Put a nice piece of glass on top and let the micro-groove barrel do what it does. 7-shot magazine and it's around $250 for the rifle. The only other bolt-action rimfires I would even consider would be a few of the better Savage 93 series magnums.