36Bjunkie

Cal. Question

My nephew shot an elk this past season with a 250 savage I put together for him. Less kick than a 243 and it did the job no problem with a 115 berger. 260 is also a good choice.

Worst suggestion ever

Tell that to the elk. Sure beats a sharp stick shot from a string and people kill elk that way all the time. Look at the ballistics for the 250 savage running a 115 berger at 2800 fps and you will find that it has plenty of pop for any distance kids will be shooting.

I don't reload yet... i was going to get my reloader but my son wanted to start hunting and there went that plan for awhile... its not cheap to outfit a kid for hunting . I got him a 870 express 20ga youth model for birds a sig 516 predators now getting him a Deer/ elk gun .. so my reloader got put on hold till next year..

I've looked at the 25-06 also but it doesn't seem to have the punch i want from what I've read.The 270 is a great round but whats the difference in recoil between the 7-08 and the .270? I just don't want to scare him with to much recoil i have a 7mm but that's way to much for a 80lb kid. And thanks for all the advice ...

You definitely have a lot of options. You could buy a different upper for that sig 516 in 6.8 spc or 30 Remington. My wife is really recoil shy but she has no issues shooting her Rem Model 7 in 308. I use medium book charges with 125 grain BTs and Accubonds.Remington offers similar reduced factory loads since you aren't reloading yet: http://www.remington.com/en/products/ammunition/centerfire/managed-recoil/managed-recoil.aspx. I think you probably should be more concerned with size/weight/fit of the rifle so you won't be carrying all the time :)

• Like 1

Start him off with a .270 and shoot reduced recoil bullets by Remington. I put a youth stock on my .270 BDL for my daughter. She started when she was ten. The youth stock still works for her, but she shoots 130 grain now. She practices with the reduced recoil. She killed an elk (100yards) and deer (350 yards) this year - one shot kills for each animal. Plenty of elk and deer have been killed with a .270. He can also shoot 150 grain eventually.

• Like 1

My son shot his first cow with a 7mm08 shooting 140gr partition dropped her in her tracks at 275 yards. If he draws a bull tag this year he will shot his moms 300wsm with a break on it . My daughter is 11 48 pounds and she shoots her mom 300wsm put a break on any big gun its louder but they can shoot them

the 25-06 is like Thor's hammer with a 110gr Accubond! my dad shot a deer down in Mexico last year at 380 yards but the most interesting part is that when he shot he was trying to shoot through a 1 foot gap between 2 organ pipe cactus arms, well the wind blew the bullet into 2 arms of the organ pipe cactus. Yes, it impacted, penetrated, and went through 2 organ pipe cactus arms, while still staying on target and hitting the deer in the lungs. it went all the way to the opposite side of the deer and stopped just inside of the skin! my dad dug the bullet out and it still had 85% weight retention, after going through everything but the kitchen sink. so I would say the 25-06 is sufficient.

hope this helps

My nephew shot an elk this past season with a 250 savage I put together for him. Less kick than a 243 and it did the job no problem with a 115 berger. 260 is also a good choice.

The 250 is the cats meow, although it obviously worked for your nephew I would opt for something with a bit more frontal area and energy. The 250 has lower pressure than the 243 and less recoil and still has a strong following for that reason and the cool factor.

The 6.5x55 is also another low recoiling round suitable (IMHO) for Elk when the range is kept within reason. But then for a youngsters first Elk sniping them from way off may be held off until they have a few hunts under their belt and getting them within 50 or 100 yards may provide them with a more personal experience with the animal.

I think im going with the 7-08 looking at the TC venture and the Tikka T3 .. my son is 4foot 10inchs so not sure if i want to spend the money on a compact gun when in a year or so hes going to grow out of it.

How bigs your son? I have a 300 Win Mag Remington that packs a punch but I also have a 300WSM Weatherby Vanguard (without a muzzle break, Win Mag has a break) that kicks like an air gun in comparison. I shoot 180gr from both, both knock elk down like a sledge hammer but I could shoot the WSM all day, plus it's light to carry. I'm 5'-6" 155lbs and but pack elk like a mule.

I love my Vanguard, wish I have 5 of them. Traded an outboard 9.9 Yamaha for it a few years ago, best trade ever. Premium ammo's pricy and hard to find if you don't reload however.

Shoot just read your post with your sons height/weight. He'll always grow into it. Good luck with the search.

110 gr for elk is WAY to light for elk IMHO, large and very tough animals. All my shots have been within 250 yards with 150-180gr (other than black powder 250 gr), all with key vital shot placement.

My oldest girl shot her elk at 11 years of age with a .270 Win with a muzzle brake. Elk went 4 yds.

She shot her deer the same year with a .250 Ackley. Deer went 30 yds.

My younger daughter is 11 now, and has shot the .270 Win numerous times, loves shooting the .250 Ackley, and has shot my .25-06 Ackley with no brake and no recoil issues. She also has taken one shot with my .300RUM with a brake and was surprised that it did not hurt. I made sure she was concentrating on the 865 yd target and not thinking about the recoil though. She hit my 12" steel at 865 yds with the .300RUM, the .25-06 Ackley, and the .250 Ackley with all 1st round hits.

I would have no issues with her shooting that distance at a stationary animal.

I guess my vote would be the round a hunter can hit the target every time at a given distance is what I would recommend. I have seen elk drop like a sack of hammers from a 100gr. .243 round at 500 yds. And others shot with a .338 that were never recovered. Placement, placement, placement. Practice, practice, practice.

• Like 1

.270 it can do it all with not much recoil, or even put a brake on it and you got the best youth gun around in my opinion! 270 browning Abolt stick with 130gr ammo of your choice and knock anything your heart desires