Sign in to follow this  
RAM

Bonus point question

I may be showing my ignorance publicly, however I have a question that some of you may be able to answer.

Lets saw you enter yourself into the draw with lets say (6 bonus points), not enought for max points but your getting close. Then lets say for that particular unit you need 9 points to qualify for max points. I know 20% of all tags go to the max point holders so this is my question.

After the max point holders aquire the 20% of tags, does G&F still look at my application as if I have 6 bonus points? Or does my points only matter towards the max point count and my application now is looked at as if I only have one point? I have several friends who believe this, that if you arn't drawn with max points then you and everyone else for that unit is re-entered into the draw and all competing with one point a piece. Thoughts?

-Ryan

your name or appointed numbers they give you for each bonus point you have goes into the pool, so if you have 6 points and this yrs app, you will be floating around in the draw seven times for your first 2 choices

The lowest randomized number that you are issued is what you will go with in the draw. No other numbers above the lowest will matter for your specific app.

• Like 1

I believe in fairness, when I see the phrase "Random" I I can't help think there is no fairness about the draw unless you have max points.

Someone please educate me if I'm reading that wrong.

-Ryan

If you have six bonus points, then to start the draw off you will have 7 random numbers generated for your application. The lowest of those numbers will determine your position in the draw. So a guy with no bonus points will get 1 number generated and that's his number. His may end up being lowere than your lowest, but you definitely have better odds of getting a low number when you have more numbers generated.

• Like 1

Good info, thanks!

I was under the impression that the draw went like this. The first round went to the highest bonus point holders up to 20% and the out of state 10%. Then the second round all the bonus points are gone and everyone is on the same page. points dont matter at this point. The rest off the 1st and second choice tags are filled. Then the third round everyone is put back in the pool for the rest of the tags. Not sure if that's exactly right but that's how I understood it. I drew 2 years ago with 14 points, and drew again last year with 2 points. I can't go another 12 year drought! Good luck everyone!

• Like 1

There is no 10% guaranteed for non resident. They can only draw up to 10% of the bull tags in a area. If 10% dont draw then they don't draw.

Sort of. You get 10 chances and keep the lowest number. Then go thru the bonus pass ranked by point level. After the bonus pass you get 10 chances at a new low number and go into the 1-2 pass, without point ranking.

AZ looks at both choices in the bonus and 1-2 pass draws.

What are my real chances for drawing a muzzy tag or early rifle tag this year with 9 points? I get the luck of the draw, but if I'm doing unit 1 & 23 I really hold no chance

It's very possible that there's enough non residents in the max point draw to reach the 10% cap leaving no tags for any non resident with less than max points in some of the early rifle hunts. Looking back at 2012 muzz area 1,2B,2C, 9 points gave you about a 2.5% chance of drawing the tag.