It's on a rancher's private land. He is kind enough to give us a key to open the gate and shoot. Wish I could tell you more than that!

Took my rifle to Phoenix Custom Rifles and they checked out the bolt and the firing pin assembly. Everything checked out fine and they cleaned and re-lubed the bold. However, I just went out a few days ago to shoot long range and the first round that I put in there did not fire, go figure. A crater on the primer but no ignition. I ejected the round, inspected it, dry fired a few times, and then tried to shoot the same round, still a no go. This was a hand load with twice fired remington brass, federal 215, 89.4gr retumbo, 3.899 coal. Every other round I tried the rest of they day was perfect though....

So, what should I do? Any advice is welcome. I just want to be able to trust that it will fire every time, especially being a hunting rifle.

Anyway, besides that, this rifle is stupid accurate. Here are some pics to show proof. I still don't believe how accurate Phoenix Custom Rifles built this rifle. 300 RUM pushing 230gr Match Berger Hybrids @3,048fps!!! The steel at 1,000 is 20"x20"

3 shots at 100 yards=.322"!!!

3 shots at 1,000 yards= 1.75" at most!!!

post-8805-0-84307900-1394771926_thumb.jpg

post-8805-0-54234700-1394771952_thumb.jpg

post-8805-0-10686600-1394771975_thumb.jpg

post-8805-0-44775300-1394771999_thumb.jpg

Fed 215. I don't think it's the primers, I think it is the firing pin assembly... It has done this on rounds I have primed and on rounds that someone else has primed...

Sounds possible. I only asked if they were CCI because I have had a lot of them not ignite in several different calibers and several different actions yet I've never had another brand fail.

Hey Gaps Im having the same exact problem with my rifle, same primers, same powder, same caliber, on a custom rifle that I had help putting together. It is crazy accurate but it failed twice on me in the field, on a bear and coyote. Sucks when that happens. I was thinking it was my firing pin (Tubbs custom Pin assembly). What firing pin do you have in there? I bought your old one and was going to through that in there to try it out, but its not the stock fluted version so I never installed it. 308nut looks like you have seen this on with the CCI primers? I'm thinking my pin is not petruding far enough, compared to my other rifles they hit a little harder (or it may just look and seem that way because once the round is fired?). I will be taking my bolt over to forum member "southernexpress" custom rifles to have him look at it.

Please let me know what they figure out, because its possibly i'm having the same issue.

Great shooting!!! I know u guys are part of the rum family so I sent u both a pm.

@308Nut-I have heard from many people that they have never had a 215 not ignite thats why I believe it is not a primer issue....

@Vowell-That sucks to hear it happened on a bear and a yote. I believe it was a fluted firing pin and assembly from PTG...I'll give an update on here once I get some answers from Phoenix Custom Rifles. Let me know what southerexpress has to say too...he is the one who bought the bottom metal from my donor rifle for this build, nice guy and looks like he does good work...

In general, what do you all think of the 300 rum? Is it worth the extra powder and cost over a 300 win mag or 7mm? Is it more of a preference or a want, or is actually much more superior at 1000+ yards? I have got to 1000 with my 223 wssm (just for fun) I only ask because I'm looking to do a big mag. I've always thought the 300 rum is a bit much but is it really?

I LOVE my 300rum. I had a 7mm and a 300win mag before building this gun. I sold both factory guns and went with one custom and do not regret it. I almost built this in a 300win mag but didn't want to regret not going with the 300rum. I knew I didn't want to step up to a .338 even as some recommended it instead of the 300rum, and I don't regret it one bit. The 300rum is exactly what I was looking for. I wanted a long range gun that was VERY capable to hunt elk out to 1,000+ if I need it to...

However, I do load my own ammo and that has a lot to do with it. If I was shooting factory rounds I would probably go with the 300 win mag then. Just because of the ammo availability and cost.

But since I am reloading, I went with the rum.

A 230gr bullet with a G1 b.c. of .743 or G7 b.c. of .380 running 3,048fps is tuff to beat in my opinion....hope this helps!

Btw, I have a badger thruster muzzle brake on it and the recoil is very manageable...I can shoot it all day and still enjoy it...but the rifle isn't light either...prolly 13lbs so that helps recoil too...

• Like 1

Gaps, You can add me to the list of those who've never had a 215 fail. I've probably ignited 3k of them over the years and triple that in 210s. Never had any of them fail. Through several thousand BR2s I've never had any fail despite the fact that BR2s are CCIs but the 200s and 250 have on a regular basis from different lots years apart.

I hope you get her fixed soon.

M