Sign in to follow this  
bonecollector777

Anything we can do to stop the money hungry machine that is AZGFD?

while the new fees hit me with sticker shock, I do not agree with the bullet points of the topic (as they speak in absolutes and rarely is anything absolute).

didn't an independent agency audit the game and fish and found there was waste to a tune of $1 million? That may seem like a large number but what percent does this actually represent 1-2% of the operating budget (It am not sure.... asking).

Also I drive a fleet vehicle for work and often get a new car every year and have gotten 2 in one year... the fleet company makes the decision to sell and buy the vehicles for what I assume is the fixed amount the company I work for pays them.... while logic would question the frequent new cars... GE Fleet is in business to make money.... does the Game and Fish use a fleet company?

can anybody name one agency that is performing very well?

only a million? well if thats all who gives a crap...

• Like 1

... Either take the chance and make it so we vote on the commission, or stop wining and take what we are given.

I watched a show on PBS last night on the wolf reintroductions in different areas around the US. When they spoke to the AZ efforts they sited that over 70% of AZ citizens were in favor of continuing the efforts...if that stat was factual I'm not sure I would want to "take the chance" on who get's voted in. Scary to think what we would end up with.

• Like 3

/>

... Either take the chance and make it so we vote on the commission, or stop wining and take what we are given.

I watched a show on PBS last night on the wolf reintroductions in different areas around the US. When they spoke to the AZ efforts they sited that over 70% of AZ citizens were in favor of continuing the efforts...if that stat was factual I'm not sure I would want to "take the chance" on who get's voted in. Scary to think what we would end up with.

Seriously? I highly doubt that 70% of people here want them. I know there are a lot of crazies here but not that many. But that number of 70% sure makes people that aren't educated about wolves think wolves are a good thing. PBS is liberal like most tv so it doesn't surprise me.

70% of the people live in Phoenix/Tempe/Mesa/Tucson - most have never seen a deer or an elk and think bacon grows on trees.

• Like 5

Only trend I see here is the same people complaining that the G&F department and all of it's employees are crooked, money-hungry, ticket-writing idiots. Do they waste money? Sure. Most government agencies do. Do they write lots of tickets? I don't know. I read the hunting and fishing regulations and follow the rules so I have never received a ticket. Seems like that one is a big problem for you. Maybe you should read the regulations and follow the rules and then the worthless G&F field guys that sit in their trucks all day doing nothing wouldn't have to stop and write you up for a violation. The same old crying from the same few people is really getting old. Tag prices, just like everything else in life, are going to go up in price. Get over it.

• Like 6

Here we go again...

Just curious what everyone thinks about this. . Game and Fish depends greatly depends on us hunters and fishermen to function. To be exact the receive around 28 million dollars just in license and tag fees (That's before the price raise this year) plus another 17 million from taxes on hunting and fishing supplies. Basically around 50% of their money comes from us just because we love to hunt. They know that and have obviously been abusing their duties.
1.They work for the people (US) yet all they care about are themselves and their new trucks and government retirement plans.

You have a factual basis for this claim, or are you just spouting off?

2.Their website for the draw has about as many problems as the healthcare.gov website. Yet they don't improve it and it crashes every year.

If you have a problem with the way the State of Arizona awards contracts to companies bidding on them perhaps you should take it up with your local State Representative, but don't blame the G&F for something where their hands are tied by law. (The old saying goes..."Remember, your rifle was made by the lowest bidder)

3. They have supported introduction of Mexican wolves simply to make money from the federal government. They know Mexican wolves will do absolutely no good for the other wildlife here in the state.

Maybe you should try reading this link... http://www.biologicaldiversity.org/news/press_releases/2010/mexican-gray-wolf-10-08-2010.htm

4. They have given out so many tags in some areas that the population of certain animals is so low you can't find a decent buck or bull.

Well, I would imagine this was in response to people complaining about how long it takes to be drawn...opportunity to "just be out in the woods" trumped quality for most hunters. By the way, that's a GREAT bull in your avatar!

/>5.They feel they are above the law because they are the law. They do what they want without any fear of any consequences because they know nothing will happen to them. See Shawn Wagner case just for one example.

Once again, the Shawn Wagner case is a prime example of the G&F too aggressively investigating its own employees, to the point that they violated Mr. Wagner's rights and he was able to win a judgement for those violations. This has been explained to you, in depth, on other threads on this forum and others. Please, if you are going to reference a case as an example, please use the correct context.

6. They don't even have enough people to answer a phone call at their offices.

So you don't want employees on the government payroll, yet complain about the lack of employees? Perhaps I'm not understanding the argument?

7. They waste millions of dollars every year driving their commissioner and employees to expos and banquets and hunts.
8. They kill Jaguars with snares and are killing bighorn sheep on a daily basis (Catlina Mountains)

Perhaps you should read more on these two issues.

9. To sum it up, They are just plain worthless, money hungry, and selfish.

Quite the claim without any evidence.

So what I'm trying to get at is if there anything we can do to stop them or make things change? They obviously don't listen to us at public meetings and it's not like we can vote them out. So do they have us by the ba**s and know we can't stop them?

I spoke at one of the meetings regarding the increase in tag and application fees. The G&F representatives laid out a very solid argument for the need and basis for the price increases. I spoke about my concerns and was treated with respect.

If something doesn't change soon were gonna lose our youth hunters. I already know a lot of people not putting in because even if they put in and don't draw it costs their family $250+. And if they get drawn it's way over $500 per average family. All the while azgfd is buying their new toys with the cash and paying their retired employees more than we make at a regular job. Just wondering if there are any ideas to get something done.
An all out boycott of the draw would be practically impossible due to losing bonus points by not putting in. Any other ideas to let azgfd were tired of it?

Actually, the increase of prices is, in part, to encourage youth hunters. If you look at the current regulations, a Youth combination hunt/fish license (resident or non-resident) is a STAGGERING (I hope everyone is sitting down) $5! Also, tag fees for Juniors Only hunts are quite reasonable as well.

I applaud the G&F for what they have done in attempts to attract more youth hunters (both resident and non-resident). Additionally, I think the idea of keeping non-resident youth tags at low price points is great for a parent whose child may live out of state (divorced, etc). It allows for a cost effective means to encourage sons and daughters to join the hunting ranks.

• Like 2

/>

Seriously? I highly doubt that 70% of people here want them. I know there are a lot of crazies here but not that many. But that number of 70% sure makes people that aren't educated about wolves think wolves are a good thing. PBS is liberal like most tv so it doesn't surprise me.

Liberal as it is I would say that they went about 60/40 slant wise. They spent a good amount of time interviewing ranchers and discussing livestock losses. One of the ranchers found it amazing that when explaining a pack went on a killing spree during lambing season and killed well over a hundred ewes and lambs peoples responses was cost of doing business. When he changed his tack to the same wolves killed 18 guard dogs in 14 months people started to listen to what he had to say.

I think there's a lesson in there about thinking about how you present your argument.

I like public land... Arizona has lots of it.

• Like 3

I'm just saying, the only way to have a say is at the ballot box. If we are afraid of that outcome, then we need to just sit back and quit complaining about what is handed to us. I spent years going to commission meetings. While the meeting is prim and proper, and you are treated like you have a voice, most issues have been decided before being brought up at the meeting. No matter how many very good points have been brought up at meetings they usually fall on deaf ears. I rarely saw anyone convince the commission to change their minds.

• Like 1

while the new fees hit me with sticker shock, I do not agree with the bullet points of the topic (as they speak in absolutes and rarely is anything absolute).

didn't an independent agency audit the game and fish and found there was waste to a tune of $1 million? That may seem like a large number but what percent does this actually represent 1-2% of the operating budget (It am not sure.... asking).

Also I drive a fleet vehicle for work and often get a new car every year and have gotten 2 in one year... the fleet company makes the decision to sell and buy the vehicles for what I assume is the fixed amount the company I work for pays them.... while logic would question the frequent new cars... GE Fleet is in business to make money.... does the Game and Fish use a fleet company?

I bet if I reviewed your finances for a year, I'd find a 1-2% waste in money....

• Like 4

/>

I bet if I reviewed your finances for a year, I'd find a 1-2% waste in money....

Probably more to the tune of 50%... All on hookers and hooch.

• Like 1

Guest wdenike
If everyone boycotts that means I'll actually draw a tag!!!

Ah he11 I think we should all be like this guy!!! Who cares as long as I get MINE.

Take care, Willie