Sign in to follow this  
grizzly

Shed traps legal?

Thinking of putting out some shed traps, the only mention I could find on the azgf website said to check faq section, went to that page and it said page under revision, does anyone know for certain if a simple antler trap with corn or alfalfa in the middle is legal or not? Thanks.

• Like 1

Did they make baiting illegal? I've never baited but I was under the impression it was legal in Az.

Although you are not trying to "take" big game by baiting, the justification for making it illegal is it promotes spread of disease. Sounds like you could use a salt though.

If it's not illegal, it most likely will be if people start doing it because of the high risk of injury or death to the animal. (Imagine the heartbreak of walking up on a buck or bull tangled up dead in a trap you made with his haunches eaten by scavengers.) To me, that ethical (and possibly legal) issue would make me choose not to do it.

Plus, from a practical standpoint, I don't think they'd work out here in the West. I've seen the YouTube videos of various antler traps and they all seem to be back east where the animal densities are higher and the traps can be checked regularly (often from a farm house window). Out here, there are too many square miles with too few animals. Plus, checking the trap would be a long drive for most of us and a long hike to boot. You could make an awesome, fool-proof antler trap but you'd have to hike pretty far in to set it up and would probably find more sheds on the hike in and out than the trap would yield. So even if you took out the ethical/legal considerations (which I do not), I don't think the cost/benefit is there.

Finally, there's the aesthetic rationale for not doing it. Part of shed hunting is wondering around finding cool stuff, seeing new sights and, if you're lucky enough to find a shed, knowing you are standing in the precise spot where a bull or buck stood, separated only by time. The vision of finding each shed is seared into my mind (helped by the fact that I've not found many, I'm sure). Time outdoors, time with family, time alone, that's what it's all about. It's like regular hunting that way. If it was all about the bone (or the meat) you'd be economically better off buying it.

That's my $.02.

• Like 10

Or just get off your rear end and hike and put miles on your boots like every other ethical person that does it. This is exactly what is wrong with society and our hunting community. Lets take the easy way out.

do you hunt with a spear?

• Like 6

Yes I do as a matter of fact. I guess I am just old school and shed hunting is just that. Going out and hunting for them in and out of canyons and such. Pardon me on not getting the new technology of making a cage to trap an animal to solely get their antlers. Guess it needs to be renamed into shed trapping then.

Last I checked, hunting with a spear in AZ is illegal!

And new technology? Shed traps have been around for decades, never hear of mass animals perishing in the traps...

http://www.huntingclub.com/rack-trap-shed-antler-hunting-made-easy/

• Like 2

/>Thinking of putting out some shed traps, the only mention I could find on the azgf website said to check faq section, went to that page and it said page under revision, does anyone know for certain if a simple antler trap with corn or alfalfa in the middle is legal or not? Thanks.

Lazy azz!

• Like 1

Thinking of putting out some shed traps, the only mention I could find on the azgf website said to check faq section, went to that page and it said page under revision, does anyone know for certain if a simple antler trap with corn or alfalfa in the middle is legal or not? Thanks.

if this is the level of effort your willing to put out why not just go buy them?

• Like 1

Gentlemen you are just going to pee off the real hunters and shed hunters now. But then again that why I enjoy hunting with you boys

Wow shedhunter, sure got your panties bunched up over my question. And thank you for taking my inquiry and extrapolating my personal level of laziness and lack of ethics.

• Like 1

Panties aint in a bunch. Never said you were lazy either. Sorry thats what u assumed. If I offened you . I apologise

Shed traps wouldn't be legal to leave on national forest ... Does not make for a cool story on how you found them either.... Nothing beats the feeling exploring new ground and findling sheds

• Like 2