cramerhunts

Beware of Sonoran Outfitters!

On October 18, 2010 my uncle signed a contract with Todd Rice of Sonoran Outfitters to hunt Desert Bighorn Sheep in Sonora, Mexico.

On November 18th he arrived in Kino Bay, Sonora for his hunt. The next day he began hunting and on November 24, 2010 he shot a nice 165” ram with dark horns that were broomed off. The ram was aged at 10 to 10 ½ years old. (Pictures of my uncle and his Ram are on Todd’s website)

November 25, 2010 my uncle returned home with Todd promising to deliver his Ram within 2 or 3 weeks, which he never did. After 10 months of Todd Rice refusing to even communicate with my uncle he decided to file suit in Coconino Superior Court. He had his first Court Arbitration Hearing in Flagstaff on September 12, 2012 with Court Appointed Judge John Trebon.

On October 12th Todd offered to settle with him by providing the horns and cape into his possession. Several more months went by with Todd stalling and refusing to deliver my uncle’s trophy. As it would turn out, Todd Rice defaulted on the settlement because he never purchased a tag for the Ram prior to or after the hunt.

Fast forward to April 9, 2013, in front of Judge John Trebon, Todd offered a new settlement. This offer was another Desert Sheep Hunt in Sonora. My uncle was to arrive on February 2, 2014 and start hunting the next day. If Todd failed to follow through a judgment would be awarded to my uncle for the cost of the original hunt plus attorney's fees and expenses.

On December 3, 2013 my uncle had not heard anything from Sonoran Outfitters about his upcoming Sheep Hunt so he sent Todd an e-mail. He explained that he needed to know the details of the hunt so he could purchase a plane ticket and make plans for the upcoming hunt. Todd responded right away saying he would get back to him in a couple of days with all of the details.

As of January 10, 2014 my uncle had not heard from him so he sent him another e-mail requesting the details of the hunt. He never got a response. He then began trying to reach him by phone but Todd never answered or returned any calls. So February 3rd came and passed without a single word from Sonoran Outfitters.

On the 4th of February my uncle’s attorney filed a Motion of Default against Todd Rice and Sonoran Outfitters in Coconino Superior Court requesting that a Judgment against Todd Rice and Sonoran Outfitters be completed. Hopefully my uncle will be able to recover all of the money he has paid out to Todd along with all of the other fees and expenses, so that someday he can go on another Desert Sheep Hunt with a reputable outfitter and get his trophy he has dreamed about.

I’m spreading my uncle’s story as we don't want other hunters to fall victim to Todd Rice and Sonoran Outfitters.

Thanks for the heads up Phil.

I was shocked to hear that your uncle got ROYALLY screwed again by this guy. He's definitely a piece of work.

I know these Mexico sheep hunts don't come cheap! I'm hearing more and more of people being scammed by Todd Rice and I can't believe he's still in business. He definitely has a reputation of being shady.

The most horrendous part about your uncles situation is that Todd Rice may never even had a permit purchased for your uncle in the first place! Someone could have ended up in jail down there and Todd didn't care. Unbelievable. Then, to have the audacity to still pocket the money!

I'll pass the word. Hopefully no one here has to deal with something like this.

• Like 1

Phil, didn't you get into a rather heated conversation with Todd right here in one of the forums a year or two ago? If I recall he posted some pics and you asked about your uncles sheep and he got all kind of bent out of shape over it. Same deal right?

• Like 1

I sure hope you get all the money back!!! Sounds like a terrible ordeal. I am unfamiliar with this individual but is he still guiding in Mexico? It is very unfortunate that people can't just be honest and professional.

• Like 1

What a horrible experience that must have turn into for your uncle. How could something like that happen and the guy still be in business? Hope your uncle gets every dime owed to him.

/>Is this Sonoran Dark horn outfitters? I've seen a lot of stuff about them, seemed legit, but never looked into it too closely.
This is NOT Sonora Dark Horn Adventures.

SDHA and Raul Cordova are legit as well as some of the best in the business ,and not to be confused with Todd Rice and his Sonoran Outfitters. (Confusing I know)

• Like 1

wow after reading what happened to your uncle and visiting his website..... I am sad I under the companies that he has listed on his website....

Tim,

You are remembering correctly about that thread a while back. It was over the same deal and Todd started threating me saying that I would ruin the arrangement that had been made. At the time I did not know anything about what had taken place but as you can imagine I then made it a priority to find out the entire story. Unfortunately it didn't matter as Todd flaked out anyway and didn't stand behind the contract or the second arrangement. I just hope the justice system does it's job and my uncle can get what he is owed.

Brian,

If you can believe it this guy is still in business pulling the same type of scam on other hunters. I don't understand it as some of his "clients" say he provided them with an absolutely great hunt. Since I've posted my uncle's story though I've received a lot of messages from people that have been taken by Todd and Sonoran Outfitters but are afraid of backlash from Todd if they make them public. Apparently he can be quite aggressive and threatening.

bonecollector,

Todd was trying to promote his business without actually becoming a sponsor. If you remember he was just posting pictures of some great trophies and used his business name as is member name but never ponied up the money to be a sponor......I seriously doubt he'd be accepted though as Amanda does reference checks before allowing some one to become a sponsor.

yotebuster,

As Chef said Sonoran Outfitters is not to be confused with Sonora Dark Horn Adventures. Raul runs a top notch outfit and provides some of the best quality sheep, mule deer, and coues hunts available in Sonora. One of my good friends works for Raul and I thoroughly enjoy living their adventures through him (not to mention they are on TV quite frequently).

Redman,

I hear ya and hope that some of those companies see Todd and his business for what they really are and dump any association with him!

I would seem that legally the rest of the story should be very simple! Hope it is, getting a judgment against someone is great but getting the money is the tough part. Attorney fees are not joke and language like "reasonable attorney's fees" as part of a judgment hopefully cover ALL of your uncles! Hopefully your uncle take the leash off his attorney and try everything to get his money...like liens and wage garnishments! Good luck!

Do you have a copy of the signed contract? I'm sure some Mexican official would like to look into the waste of Mexican resources without receiving their cut! I would wait until your uncle gets his money back.

Sounds like some Lacey Act violations as well could be tacked on, provided the statue of limitations hasn't run out.

I wish someone could find that old post. I couldn't believe how bad he made himself look!

Best of luck to you're uncle getting things sorted out through the legal system!