Sign in to follow this  
mbiewer

20B first time pig

Each and every hunt is memorable, luckily for my group, this past Javelina was even more so.

In the years past my brother and i hunted with a bigger group down in 32. The group sort of disbanded and we forged out on our own. On a whim i invited my coworker steve t come out last fall for his first ever turkey hunt, then his first ever deer hunt. Luckily before the frustartion of not seeing any animals set in, i convinced him to put in for Javelina with us.

One of the guys was convinced that crown king (or in that area) was where it was at. we dropped in for 20b. Time ran short as always, and i didnt get out to scout as much as i had hoped. We dideventually come to a consensus on where to camp.

Monday before the opening Steve asked me if his son could go. I figured it was half "first man tirip" and in reality... bargaining chip for his wife. "Look i'll bring Christian with me if i still get to go". ha ha. Armed with his red rider Christian (9 yrs old) quickly earned the name "rapid fire". Good thing bb's are cheap.

We worked one general area the first day. The next morning we made our way through to wickenburg. A late lunch on the side of the road on the way back to camp soon turned into the best decison ever. A rancher pulled up and asked us how the hunt was. Said we only seen a little bit of sign but so far no pigs. He directed us up a wash and said he found them earlier that morning.

From the pavement, the area didnt look promising. flat, full of atv tracks so we continued up. Came across a bunch of dirt bikers and some camps. Was almost frustrating. We pushed on, and right about the time i was gonna suggest we get out to hike the hills and look around we rounded the bedn to a herd of a bout 12. By the time i got out of the jeep they were in the brush. Looked to see where Steve and my brother were at and to start the stalk. Tim went up the wash to watch for them to ridge out and come down the other side. Ben and steve started up into the flat (that had a horseshoe shaped ridge around it). I started blowing the J13 to see if they would come back. Steve's first shot was into the back hip and put the boar in 2 wheel drive. It snuck behind a tree to seek cover but luckily it came out and steve had a succesful harvest.

That night camp grew a little with the addition of Seyha (Khmer6) and his son Petra. They came to see Steve's trophy, and help us with the herd. Unfortuately, even after canvasing the area for a couple different times in all different directions we never crossed that herd again for the rest of the weekend. All in all we had 5 tags, and only one javelina. Im grateful for the expereince of sharing Steves first javelina hunt with him and his son. Getting to make a new friend in Seyha, and another weekend of enjoying a new part of az.

Special thanks to:

Mule Packer

BuckMaster21

SWDesertRat

and

HankSaidItBest

These guys all tried to help contribute and give me tips about the area when i was behind the 8 ball for scouting and general starting points. ALl awesome guys to talk with.

And Thanks to Khmer6 for braving a bunch of strangers for javelina camp with his 4 yr old. Hope we made it worth your while and made you feel like part of the group.

post-4172-0-22427700-1392413933_thumb.jpg

post-4172-0-39379800-1392413956_thumb.jpg

post-4172-0-24778800-1392413976_thumb.jpg

post-4172-0-98319400-1392413999_thumb.jpg

post-4172-0-70285100-1392414022_thumb.jpg

post-4172-0-52721400-1392414051_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Very cool, congrats on your first javelina! Good story of a memorable hunt for sure.

I'm sure we will get them next time around. Pretty healthy herd and maybe they will drop more piglets later this year. I'll be scouring the topos and satellites in preparation for next year :-D. Once rifle season closes, I'm going to look for every single one of their bedding site.

Good story Matt and congratulations on getting a pig out of your camp. Looks like it was a good time had by all. Thanks for posting.

TJ

Congrats on getting a pig....enjoyed the story!!! Sounds as though a great time had by all being able to share the experience!!