Elkhunter1

The Challenges Of Hunting!

This story starts way back in Dec. 2013. Opening day of the Dec. archery season I find myself down south in search of a good Mulie. I covered several miles with sightings of Javelina and does. There was hunters at every turn, Challenge#1 I couldn't get away from them. Day two I decided to go farther south to an area I had never been. This day starts with Challenge #2. finding my way around private property to the spot I wanted to glass from. I get back in the truck just after daybreak and start getting further in to get around the fences, I find a road that goes into the canyon. 5 minutes into the glassing session I spot a small forky with several does working the ridge in the back of the canyon. As I watch the deer plotting my move, I hear a cough over my left shoulder. I swing the binos around to see the culprit, I cover the top of the ridge I am overcome with a severe case of dropjaw. After pulling all of the Cholla Cactus out of my chin and tongue, re-adjust my eyes I take a second look. This guy is the biggest Mulie I have ever spotted.

post-5396-0-04887900-1392613145_thumb.jpg

post-5396-0-08427600-1392613216_thumb.jpg

I spent the rest of the Dec and Jan. hunts chasing this guy. Every free moment I had I chased or searched for this guy. Every day in the field I ran into Javelina, Challenge #3 being knee deep in them and not having a tag for that unit. Two of my hunting buddies, Bradley Bishop, and Carlos Flores went out to help in the quest. They both had pig tags for the unit and both times we couldn't find the "Big Wide Boy" or any pigs. Prior and after their days afield I found four separate herds. I was able to get two shots at the buck and I can only say "fever" got to me. :angry:

post-5396-0-28046300-1392613298_thumb.jpg

post-5396-0-53216000-1392613335_thumb.jpg

post-5396-0-77699900-1392613355_thumb.jpg

Fast forward to the 2014 HAM hunt and opening day: I am at the office getting my work orders and equipment for the day. I would not be able to hunt until the following Wed. and Thurs., my days off. Every day I spent working all the while thinking of where I was going to hunt the stinky salt-n-pepper grunters. Late Monday afternoon I received a text that Tuesday we would not be working. After getting home I hurriedly gathered and re-checked my gear for the hunt .

Daybreak Tuesday I was walking to my first glassing spot. I covered several miles of hills and ridges without seeing hide nor hair of my target. I spent all morning in an area that I killed my biggest pig at 53 pounds dressed. During the long walk back to the truck I was searching my memory banks for a new spot to hit before dark, while wondering what happened to the large herd that was there. Challenge#4 finding them in the unit you have the tag for.

I traveled to the other side of the mountain range and was looking for the right spot when my gut said turn here! I drove in and found a good looking area. I climbed the hill and sat down and started glassing the hills and washes. After a very frustrating three hours I decided to go back a ways and check out a small water hole I saw on the way in. I found several sets of tracks and decided to sit it until dark. I picked a spot that gave good coverage of the whole water hole. I ranged several spots and waited. It didn't take long until they came in to my left, two pigs. Because I am left handed I had to spin to get a proper aim on the big one. I waited until he turned broadside and I pulled the trigger of my 9mm, I fired a second round as his departed. I checked his route for over 50 yards without any trace of blood. "How in the heck could I have missed him at only 35 yards." :blink:

The entire ride home was spent kicking my self and going over the events of my epic failure to fill my tag less than an hour earlier. All night I went over the events and decided I would return and check the area again just in case I missed something, it was right at dark. After looking the area over again I was convinced I did in fact miss him. I climbed the ridge they came down the night before, stopping and glassing as I went. I made it to a point in the ridge where I could glass most of the canyon. As I stood there glassing I herd "Woof," Holy sh!% they're close! I would have thought they would have been farther away than that. After glassing the next point on the ridge I spotted one pig feeding to the right. i readied the Brute and started moving to the right to intercept him. As I fought the Cat Claw and rocks I spotted several more pigs, the whole herd was there. I was 80 yards and they made a right turn and started moving to my left and in the thicker Cat Claw where I had no shot. I knew my only shot was at close range and I put my bow down and pulled my 9 out hoping to redeem the night before. As I raised up to aim I adjusted my grip and my wedding ring tapped the grip, they were off like grease lightning. I "woofed" at them with no response so I stood there with a "what the fu@% now," look on my face. Challenge #5 noise control. I was plotting how I was going to re-engage them when I noticed there was two other pigs working a Prickly Pear to my right where I originally spotted them. I holstered my 9 and picked up my bow, as I did this the larger pig walked off and I was left with a medium pig. I ranged him at 50 yards. I raised up, pulled back, settled the third pin and unleashed the arrow of death, SWHACK! He ran 50 yards and began to tumble. Pig down, tag filled, now I can get to the "Honny do" list I had been neglecting since May 2013. The final and hardest one to control Challenge#6 getting the list done in the two to three months you aren't scouting, setting cameras, helping friends and hunting.

post-5396-0-24184400-1392613464_thumb.jpg

I love my wife and I don't thank her enough for giving my the leeway to do my most passionate activity, "as long as there is the money for it" lol

• Like 5

Good story of your successful hunt. Congrats and good luck with that buck next season.

Awesome...glad one of us got to bloody an arrow this season. Just wish I had been there with you. :D

yeah Brad it would be nice to have you there as well, sucks having Wednesdays and Thursdays off

Good story of your successful hunt. Congrats and good luck with that buck next season.

Congrats on the pig! Hopefully you get another chance at that buck in August!

Congrats on filling your pig tag. Keep after that buck, hopefully he will bigger in Aug.

I am right there with you on the "honey do" list, started yesterday.

Ya that Mulie is in serious trouble in Aug. ... unless I find the Coues bucks I've been tracking for the last three years, didn't see them last year.

Congrats on your pig. Way to step up and meet the challenges (even the honey dew list )!

Awesome write up Stephen and congratulations on the pig. I just knew you was going to get it done sooner or later as I was reading thru your story. Good eaten right there. Throw the Honey Do list away. :lol: Well, on second thought, maybe not. You do want to live to hunt another day. :D

TJ

• Like 1

Awesome write up Stephen and congratulations on the pig. I just knew you was going to get it done sooner or later as I was reading thru your story. Good eaten right there. Throw the Honey Do list away. :lol: Well, on second thought, maybe not. You do want to live to hunt another day. :D

TJ

Thanks I knew you would read it, after all it is on Javelina. lol I enjoyed your story as well.

Very good story!! Congrats on your pig and thanks for sharing!!