Sign in to follow this  
MT_Sourdough

javelina and cattle?

I have been out scouting for javelina and I have seem to notice that when cattle are moved into a new range, the javelina relocate into a surrounding range where the cattle are not. So, I was wondering if other folk have noticed the same thing or is there a different explanation that is eluding me?

Kind of funny you posted this sunday while i was out with my wife, we witnessed a yearling calf chase a lone boar down a ridge. Unfortunatley she wasnt able to put him on the ground. Never seen that before thought it was interesting.

That is interesting. I was thinking about a subtle competition for food sources, but your story seems to suggest the probability of a more direct conflict. hmmm...?

It seems that javelina are more of a competitor with cattle than are mule deer. I still have a lot to learn about these desert pigs, but this could be valuable knowledge if it is true.

i have seen cattle and javelina living together happily. but i have seen areas where once the cattle move it the javelina go else where. no rhyme or reason to why they do what they do. the longer i hunt the more i realize the only hard and fast rule is these(javelina, deer, elk) animals do what they want when they want.

• Like 1

Between myself and my 3 kids, we have shot 17 of them over the last 7 years. After trying to analyze things to death in figuring these little stinkers out, I finally got it down. Here is the all encompassing rule to keep in mind.

THEY ARE WHERE THEY ARE

Good luck all!! Heading out with my oldest to go for number 18 this weekend. Can't wait.

A few years ago on one of my archery hunts, we glassed up a heard of javelina feeding right along with a heard of cows! They didn't seem to bother each other at all. However it made the stalk more interesting trying not to get busted by the cows.

• Like 1

Once while deer hunting in unit 21 there was tank below my glassing spot with about 6-8 cattle laying around. A pair of javelina came in and proceeded to do what boy and girl javelinas do.... the cattle wasted no time in leaving the area once the show began.

The first Javi I shot was less than 5 yards away from two cows when I first saw him. All three were feeding and none seemed to bother anyone else. In total there was 5 cows and 6 Javies with in an area as far as you could throw a rock in all directions.

More D

Interesting topic. We have a standing joke when we see cows...."better take a look for pigs". Where we hunt, for a few years anyhow, we found pigs feeding among the cows. I believe they use the cows as an alarm to danger. Dang cows will spook and stampede before the pigs know you are there. In the last few years, however, we are having trouble finding pigs in the same areas (37B near Oracle). Could be due to a few factors...one of them being the increased number of cows in the area. The whole area is torn up real bad. Vegetation, prickly pear, ground...all tore up....sh!t everywhere. Could be a serious competition for food. It seems that cows and native critters can co-habitate as long as the area isn't overgrazed. The deer, on the other hand, are doing great....go figure...