AmericanThunder

Snowmobiler Shoots Moose

I think he should have gone around in the first place, and if the moose still charges you and attacks you, then comes back for more then you might be justified to shoot. I think he was justified, but this could have been avoided

I hope he didn't just leave the moose there, I hope he called the game and fish and they took it and fed the homeless. if he did leave it there, then publicized the video and then the game and fish found out, he should be charged for everything, waste of game, illegal taking of game, and waste of illegally taken game.

IMO

• Like 1

Mixed feelings for sure. All of it could have been avoided, whick kind of says it all.. However, I don't think you need to be on the bottom of a moose before you legally defend yourself. After the first physical contact, i feel he was justified. I hope he didn't just leave the moose there, that young bull looked delicious!!

I hope if that ever hapens to me, its a 60 incher!! LOL

charge him -- the dumbA could have used the pistol to fire a few shots in the air instead of clapping hands and yelling- the moose would have hightailed it- when he advanced on the moose its all his fault !!

a possiblity that the moose had probably been harassed by snowmobilers in the past and said enough is enough - lol

It's easy for someone to say what they might do but no one really knows until put in that situation. Only he knows if he felt threatened enough to justify it. And he's the one who will have to prove it if caught. No different than shooting a human. You better be able to justify it after it happens.

But he definitely needs to report his actions to the authorities.

I've never been on a snowmobile so not sure if they have reverse but if they do i would of been out of there if a glock was my only defense against a wild animal. If he had missed or not hit vitals it could of been him on the ground.

Good shooting though

Looks like he left it there suffering. Nothing deserves to go out like that. Charge him with animal cruelty on top of everything else.

Looks justified to me! I wasn't in the situation so I don't know how the guy felt, but I would have shot it while it was attacking me the first time!

I was an avid snowmobiler from the Midwest, and have encounter many deer on the trails. The moose was hanging on the trail because it was easier to walk than the deep snow. Probably right that the sledder should not have advanced, and allowed the moose to get into the clearing on the trail ahead, then throttle up the sled, and go around. Everything unharmed. I also in thousands of trail miles, never took a side arm for protection, but I didn't see what state this happened in. I agree with the comment that the moose probably had prior history with snowmobilers and decided to stand his ground. One problem with the snowmobiler going around the moose on the spot was that he probably would have gotten stuck and then would have really been put in this situation. Probably a first class case of "look what I did on camera", and one of his buddies got pissed off and put it on the internet.

I feel that nearly every bad situation could have been "avoided". We do not need to be armchair QB's in this situation. He should be justified IF he made the proper followup to contact WYGFD and take care of the situation. Sad deal.

Check out the article and video at the link below. Do you thing he was justified? I personally think he should face charges. He could have very easily avoided that situation.

http://www.outdoorhub.com/news/video-snowmobiler-shoots-moose-glock/

I feel that nearly every bad situation could have been "avoided". We do not need to be armchair QB's in this situation. He should be justified IF he made the proper followup to contact WYGFD and take care of the situation. Sad deal.

Check out the article and video at the link below. Do you thing he was justified? I personally think he should face charges. He could have very easily avoided that situation.

Is that a Blacktail in your photo?? Nice deer, I NEED A BLACKTAIL!!

• Like 1

Its hard to say, but the animal false charged once, charged into the man, then started to charge again. Sorry bullwinkle but I'm killing your girlfriend. I'm not giving a wild animal a third chance to kill of injure me.

Appears that moose was "yarded" on the trail. Note droppings in the trail when the shooter/photographer advanced on his machine. Likely that moose was stressed from a tough winter and deep snow, it certainly was not willing to abandon that hardpack for powder. Just a bad deal. I've got no problem with the shoot but self reporting and meat salvage is a must.

Is that a Blacktail in your photo?? Nice deer, I NEED A BLACKTAIL!!

looks like a Sitka blacktail, that would be a cool animal to hunt, big or small.

I think its a good shoot. That said I think there would have been better options to dealing with the situation. That said its easy to look at the situation when youre not there and critique what he did. It appears evident to me that his intentions were not to provoke the moose. Without hearing his articulation on why he shot there was some process he went through, he didnt shoot on the first charge which leads me to believe this was not his intention. He didn't even have a round chambered. I would be hard pressed to see him convicted of a criminal charge, as long as all the proper steps were taken after the shoot.