Sign in to follow this  
muley224

Any thoughts on glassing etiquette ?

I got stuck right in the middle of a road on a new mexico archery elk hunt for hours once that there were lots of hunters using. It was a sight to see, and i met several new hunters in the process of getting out. I know several of them thought i was dbag for blocking the road but oh well. Met a couple of them the next day on the same road with a jackhammer 384 bull in the back of my truck, and it was amazing to see the look on their faces. Priceless......... It turns out the road i was blocking the day before cause i was buried in mud, was the road they were using to get to where they needed to glass from. I think i might have saved the bull for another day by getting stuck the previous day. I'm sure those guys were pissed off for years cause i got stuck, i just wish they knew they were glassing in the wrong spot regardless of whether i was stuck or not.

I got another one... LOL... Public land Sharing... I love it!! This is an example of holding to your plan, and just plain hunting as hard as you can. If you don't panic you, can and will, more often than not Win on public land if you know the country you hunt.

Was with a hunter opening morning of a late bull hunt.... we are driving (well... Hauling Arse) down the dirt roads... way before light and I catch up to Two large pickups... they are slower than me because they are bigger trucks in the snotty snow and mud... they won't let me by so after several "Y's" in the road it becomes obvious that we are ALL going to the same place! LOL This should be fun I think...

At the end of the road (mind you we have been bumper to bumper all the way in)... we park and before I can even shut my truck off 6 guys literally leap out of those two trucks and Sprint across in front of my truck! Now I am chuckling again and my Hunter is like, "Oh My God!"... I tell him not to worry... there is a Ton of bulls and a ton of country out there and it is still over an hour till shooting light...

As we started up the mountain at our pace for the long 45+ minute climb I can see their headlamps below me skirting the Mountain... I am still chuckling cuz they are still trotting...LOL. We get to my targeted rock pile as quietly as possible just at Grey light and there is no one there so I know that the other group is somewhere below us but I have no Idea how far but I assume they are on one of the other rock piles much lower on the mountain... We start to glass and I can't find the 2 bulls we are looking for... but we see a good bull right in front of us at about 400 yds and we start talking about him... I tell my guy he is, "Not the bull we came for... Probably 345-350ish"... and the other bull, "if he shows" is likely better..." His Son was with us for only the opening morning hunt so he says it would be, "be a perfect hunt if I get to share it with my Son..." So I say, "Let's get Bloody!" He puts the bull down and that is when we learn the location of our sprinters because they started throwing lead at some bulls that are at least 650+ yds from us... they were bulls we weren't interested in... but they were a Long ways from those guys and I think took a while to walk a fatal shot into their bull... but the too got their tag filled. We sat our ground watching where our bull disappeared in the 7' tall brush waiting to be sure that he was down for good and not wanting to be in front of any other hunters... we just waited... Pretty soon the other guys came up and talked to us as they made their way around to their bull and then we shortly followed in the recovery of our bull!

In the end... Those guys killed and were happy with their hunt... the next day they repeated the process and killed another bull from the same spot! And stopped me on the road after I finished packing out the rest of our bull to show him off. I had purposely waited late in the AM to head in there out of respect of other early AM hunters and packed out mid-day... which avoided any chance of me screwing anyone up...

And my hunter was happy with a bull that he had scored (by a B&C measurer) at 352"+ green and he got to share the day with his Son...

It was as perfect as one can hope for on public ground with lots of tags and lots of pressure. There was no ugly-ness, I conducted myself in as clean and ethical manner as possible.... and other then how comical it started I never saw another hunter till after all the smoke cleared... I wouldn't miss that kind of adrenalin rush for anything!

Good Hunting! Here is a pic of the bull we killed that day...

post-996-0-58008000-1394121635_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2

I was amazed last year in 36b.i got to my glassing spot before the sun came up set up and was ready to glass. 10 min after glassing light a man his wife and son came walking up the road and 10 feet away from me didn't wave didn't say anything or even act like we were there and started down the finger I was on. I know it's their right but at least say something I wouldn't of minded them doing that but tell me where you are going so I don't shoot your direction or over your head so I can keep eyes on you. I think it's teaching that little boy bad habits. Just seems like respect and teaching young hunters the right things is going out the window now. On the bright side a man and his daughter stopped and asked if they could set up 100 yards down the road from me I said yeah no problem and I got to watch his daughter take her first deer. That's a father doing it right.

I was a little frustrated when I had walked an hour and a half down a road one year that only a quad/dirt bike could make it down and when I was almost to the end of the road I looked back and seen two bikes coming. Which doesn't bother me because they had no idea I was there and I was still on the road. But they seen me, I seen them and they stopped so I continued the last quarter of a mile down the road to start glassing. I had expected the bikes to either turn around or glass from where they had stopped but that didn't happen. I get to the end of the road and got set up and probably 10 minutes into glassing I hear the bikes getting closer. They park and walk down the same trail I am set up on to glass. When they finally seen me they acted surprised that I was there even though they seen me walking down the road. Then asked how I got back there and where my gun was..........ummm I walked and its right here. Then wanted to know if I even had a tag. I probably wouldn't of been as frustrated if it wasn't for the ridiculous questions.

Sorry if you guys are on here reading this, but it seems to go along with the glassing etiquette topic.

Hey mc68, I wasn't insinuating that you had ever blocked a road and I didn't take it that a way in your first post. I was speaking generally. I've ran into trucks blocking roads both here and in Wyoming and that's what I was thinking about when I said that. I was however directly referring to the tire flattening comments. Flatten someone's tire because you can't hunt where you want at that moment? Counter productive if you want the truck out of the way. Just stupid.

Losing my temper has never really helped me to be productive. Glad we can all agree that blocking roads qualifies you for the D Bag list being assembled in the other thread and that no cwt members should ever have to worry about having their tires flattened by another member. Sorry I said anything.

Eh, we all get pissed and lose our temper and say stuff. I run my suck quite frequently. Honestly I saw the tire comment and didn't take the time to see that it was you that said it. I just realized AFTER my last post that it was you bud. I probably would have been nicer had I opened my stupid eyes and seen it was you and not some newbie DB. My bad too buddy.

Back to the topic.

For me, I give other guys a wide berth because that's how I would want to be treated. I'm out there to be alone. Camp is for making friends. My mentor and hunting partner and I hunt together at times but also hunt apart and only share a camp. When we hunt apart we hunt miles apart. Where we hunt there are so few deer that if you're within a mile of each other you're probably looking at the same animals. I hunt there because I want to avoid other hunters even though success is very low. If I'm glassing an area I would hope that other hunters would find another area once they realize I'm there.