Sign in to follow this  
BackwoodsHunter

Best places to flyfish

Get to Lees Ferry, if you have fly fished CO there is not a lot comparable here in AZ.

Small black midges are a year round ticket. I hit the cicada hatch last year in July and it was an amazing 3 days.

Lees Ferry Anglers ( http://www.leesferry.com/main/ ) have lots of additional info.

Good Luck!

How much time do you have? I would suggest Lee's Ferry & the White Mountains. The White Mountains has a lot of streams and lakes to fish. You can catch Browns, Rainbows, Apache's, Grayling, Cutthroat, Brookie's, Pike, Large Mouth & Small Mouth Bass. The White Mountains has Awesome fishing!!!!

Adam

Catching Suckers on the Salt & Verde River is a blast!!!!!! There are plenty of them and they are fairly easy to catch. Plus they pull hard!

Adam

• Like 1

If you have time to explore Oak Creek it is a challenging and beautiful fishery. I haven't looked at the flows lately but I'd imagine last week's storm runoff has mostly pushed down and it's probably clear and very fishable. Rainbows range from dinks to 14" and there are some legit browns to be had if you put your time in. Weekdays you'll have most the creek to your self...once it gets really hot it's not that the creek is unfishable but pressure from swimmers etc. make weekends better spent somewhere else.

don't forget silver creek just out of show low until the end of march. many incentive fish 20-30 inches. you might not want to be there for the april 1 slaughter when the rules change. or maybe you might....

i don't fish it anymore-i just do 'trout-spotting'. looking for the 10 lbers.

possibly the second best flyfishing in Arizona is pacheta lake on the fort apache. only second to lee's ferry.

lee

There's no fish in Pacheta:) I agree, Silver Creek can be an Awesome place to fish! X-Diamond ranch is another great place to fish.

Adam

once the water clears up on the black river after the run off from the snow, its crazy good around sheeps crossing .In one day I caught and let go 120 fish and my buddy let go around 100 if you hit it right its crazy good!!!!! all on a fly....black or brown wooly booger with no tail

I know its a bit of a drive and not in AZ but the San Juan river is awesome! My boy and I heading there for spring break. Yes there are other fisherman there but whats great is most the time you feel like your alone anyway. You can find pockets of good fish and be fishing alone. I have noticed since gass prices went up that the crowds of people are no longer there. Im taliking about Saturdays to. River fishes great year round. Anyway, just a thought.