I have been noticing what I would consider an astonishing trend at the gun range lately. People are putting muzzle breaks on everything. Who needs a break on a .270? What's the attraction? (other than the obvious) They do nothing for accuracy, other than decrease it – more often than not, and they are loud to the point of being obnoxious.

Is the recoil from a deer rifle really that painful or bothersome? Or is it just a fad?

I have a muzzle break on my 300 win. mag. I like it because when your shooting a buck it helps keep the buck in the scope after you pull the trigger. It help keeps the barrel from jumping up from the recoil. Most guides do not like muzzle breaks either because of the noise .

I have a factory muzzlebreak on my Browning A-bolt. I wish I had one on all of my high power rifles. It allows you to go out to the range and fire alot more rounds through the gun without getting beat up or have to worry about the flinch. I used to go out once a week and shoot at least fifty rounds through my .300 win mag with hot loads and not have much of a sore shoulder. It also depends on the weight of your gun. I have a 5.5 pound .270 that I hate to shoot because of the excessive recoil. Get a muzzlebreak and a good recoil pad and you will see your groups get smaller. David

My groups are plenty small already thank you. 2.5" and under at 400 yards and not off a bench but prone from my hunting pack. I just was wondering what other reasons could there possibly be from all that extra noise.

My groups are plenty small already thank you. 2.5" and under at 400 yards and not off a bench but prone from my hunting pack. I just was wondering what other reasons could there possibly be from all that extra noise.

on a larger caliber like a 300 Weatherby Mag it helps to simply reduce the kick as for the 270 goes who knows it doesnt have to bad a kick to begin with

I put one on my 7 RUM and have the BOSS system on my BAR '06. That BAR has no kick at all, the action takes about 30% off and the brake takes about another 30% off. And my 7 RUM just looks really cool!

I am sorry I am not a perfect shot like yourself. I was just trying to help out another fellow hunter. At least you picked a good forum name for yourself. David

P.S. Could you please post some video of those 400 yard prone shots.

AZHuntNut,

No need to be sorry, only thankful that you are not just another punk ;)

I too find my muzzle break to be useful.

I have been noticing what I would consider an astonishing trend at the gun range lately. People are putting muzzle breaks on everything. Who needs a break on a .270? What's the attraction? (other than the obvious) They do nothing for accuracy, other than decrease it – more often than not, and they are loud to the point of being obnoxious.

Is the recoil from a deer rifle really that painful or bothersome? Or is it just a fad?

I was wondering if you were at Ben Avery on saturday? I was there from 10-1 or so. I was in slot 21. I was shooting a .270 with a muzzle brake on it. I have had it on that rifle for 6 years. I also have an old shoulder injury from football in 91. A seperated shoulder that has nagged me for years. I also have 2 daughters, and when they are able to hunt it is the rifle they will use. It shoots like a .223. I also have a .300 win mag. I only shoot that at the range before a hunt or when in the field. I use a sandbag behind the stock for that one. Anyway if you were there on sunday and saw me you noticed I am not a small guy so there is your answer. Also it makes shooting a lot more fun when you don't get sore. I am pretty sure you were there and you should have asked me at the range since I have never met anyone else with a brake on a 270. Thanks John

i understand the use for muzzle brakes but i had a gunsmith tell me that as far a accuracy it doesnt make any difference. is their any gualified gunsmiths on this forum that could clarify this for us.

You got me with the name crack :lol:. Guess my name suits me well then, wonder why I chose it?

Even if I were to post video you would find some way of saying it was bull@#$ ;) . Next time I'm headed to the range I'll let you know :P . I don't have a break on any of my rifles and I wasn't saying that nobody should. I was just wondering why they seem to be increasingly popular.

"I like it because when your shooting a buck it helps keep the buck in the scope after you pull the trigger. It help keeps the barrel from jumping up from the recoil". – I actually hadn't thought of that. This happens to me also with any of my rifles larger than my .22-250, thanks for the input!

Not at Ben Avery. And I just bought a Winchester .270wsm with a break I am going to have cut off and the barrel re-crowned. And if I'd have seen you I wouldn't have hesitated to ask such a harmless question.