Sign in to follow this  
longshooter

Whet stones

As a kid growing up we used to pack in the Whet Stones (34b) to hunt Coues deer every December when you could draw a rut hunt every year. I have not been there in probaly 15 years, but was curious if any one on this board hunts them ? How is the deer heard doing there lately ?

MUle deer are next to nothing in there and coues deer are on the way down as well.

Haven't hunted coues in there but I do spend a lot of time in there chasing coyotes/bobcats/lions. We have seen some good bucks, easily 100+ the last few times we were calling. I always put 34b as my third choice and 35a as my first and second.

You got better chances seeing a Mt. Lion before seeing a mule deer buck out there, sometimes you'll strike gold and see atleast 10 bucks a day like I did last year. The coues are really spotted, they're still out there but it's no where near a high population, it's def a unit where you'll have to work hard even for a spike

Just finished a nov. hunt in 34 b. My buddy bagged a 95 3/4 coues. We saw a few others that score over 100! Saw a couple spikes as well. A lot of mulies down low! Just go get em!

Good luck!