capoeirajosh

How long?

I've had 6 bull tags in 16 years all in AZ. 5 archery and 1 rifle. I'm 5 for 6 all 5 being archery. 3 6x6s and 2 spikes. Nothing over 325". Now I'm building points for a biggun then back to every 5 years or so.

Waited 12 years to draw archery in 27 in 2012. Then drew it back to back in 2012 and 13. Hoping for the threepeat!

Drew back to back unit 1 archery bull in 1999 and 2000. 1999 bull was 340 and the 2000 bull was 300. Didn't draw another tag till I went back to back again the last two years. Missed the biggest bull of my life in 2012 early in the hunt. Hit a branch with a 400" bull at 10 yards. I was sick to my stomach for days. Ended up connecting on a 370" bull that was fighting with another bull. 2012 was the all time best year for elk in unit 1. Bulls were hot the entire time and were bugling all day. 2013 was the exact opposite of 2012. It rained cats and dogs for 6 days keeping the temps up with little rutting and the last week of the hunt the wind blew at least 40mph. Had a couple chances to close but couldn't get it done.

0 for 3 2 of them were rut hunt I had my chance on each hunt I just can't get calmed down enough I get way too excited when a bull gets in front of me the late archery hunt I had only seen cows

I've had 1 archery bull tag in 5bn killed a 330 6x6. Waiting on a unit 9,10,or 1 bull tag. Hopefully to go 2 for 2 on a big one this time.

I drew a bull tag in unit 10 in 1999 and arrowed a 5x6 at 53 yards after 5 days of hunting, I had to wait until 2008 for my next unit 10 bull in my avatar. 40 yards on a 370 bull after 10 days of hunting. I have not put in for a bull tag since 2008 because I like hunting elk and do not want to wait 9 years in between hunts. I also think I will never have another opportunity at an elk bigger than my 370, now I just put in for cow hunts cause I love the meat!!!!

I have drawn 3 bull tags. Ate tag soup on the first two although I did pass up some bulls, (and missed a couple good ones). Last year, after passing a bunch of bulls (including a 320 at 15 yards), the bulls turned off. The next week was a continuous parade of wind, water, frustration, and night mares about the 320 I did not pull the rigger on.

Luck smiled on me again the last afternoon. Next time I will not be so picky. Can't wait for this years draw results!

post-2989-0-06184800-1395196318_thumb.jpg

My archery elk experience started with a few cow hunts. I learned a lot from many groups of elk running away and laughing at the rookie who just blew the stalk. Every hunt has produced tons of memories shared with some of the best people in the world.

I'm currently 0:2 on archery elk. The way our draw seems to go for me it will likely be a loooooooong road to finally put an arrow in one.

Well lets see. Drew my first early rifle bull tag when I was 14. Since then I've drawn 6 other archery bull tags in unit 1 and 3c along with ten archery cow tags. I'm 5 for 7 on bulls and 8 for 10 on archery cow.

Brian

• Like 1

Rifle I've had 1 cow and two bull tags. Went 3 for 3 with nothing real big to right home about. 2007 I drew my first of three archery bull tags between now and then. Again went 3 for 3 all six point bulls scoring 322, 284, and 307. I've had a hard time passing up 300 inch bulls screaming in my face! Gonna try and hold out for that monster next time around!

1/2 on cow tags. This year hopefully will be my first archery bull tag.

/>Well lets see. Drew my first early rifle bull tag when I was 14. Since then I've drawn 6 other archery bull tags in unit 1 and 3c along with ten archery cow tags. I'm 5 for 7 on bulls and 8 for 10 on archery cow.

Brian

Man you've had a lot of fun in the AZ mountains.

Well I have had 4 bull tags in the last 10 years or so of putting in. 3 of those are late archery tags. I am 1 for 1 on the rifle tag and 1 for 3 on the archery tags. I am holding out for a good early archery hunt now. So it will probably be a few more years.

Drew my 1st elk tag in 1995. 7 archery bull. Lost a 350+ bull. Was hit in a very poor location with nearly no penetration. I'm sure he survived. 2004 drew my second tag. Took a 5x5 on the last morning.

It took me 6 years to draw my first elk tag, and i was puting in for archey cow and not getting drawn. Anyhow, i connected on a nice 5x5 on day seven so I'm 1 for 1 and hoping to continue my streak.

• Like 1